What's new

Goatee... Pro/Con

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Decided to try a goatee recently.

On the plus side, my shaves are much quicker.

On the minus side, my shaves are much quicker.

My wife is liking it, so for now I will keep it. Maybe I'll keep it until the weather warms up. Not sure yet. Any other thoughts on this?

yea my wife laughs at my goat tee that tickles her face..out daughter does the same thing!..I only grown ine 2x a year..drives me nuts from itching..then I shave it all off then wait 6 mo or so then repeat

Decided to try a goatee recently.

On the plus side, my shaves are much quicker.

On the minus side, my shaves are much quicker.

My wife is liking it, so for now I will keep it. Maybe I'll keep it until the weather warms up. Not sure yet. Any other thoughts on this?

I wore one before I discovered wet-shaving. I have recently thought about growing another one. I can see how the down side would be shorter shaves. I suppose the main reason i may not re-grow one is the grey in mine. Two silver streaks. Otherwise, my wife is totally fine whether or not I grow one.

Just some thoughts about it Oldsaw, not sure if my post was helpful.

DL

Pros and Cons of a Goatee

Plus Side:

Saves Razor Blades
You fit in a Pro-Wrestling Matches
You fit in at NASCAR events
It goes well with a permed mullet

Minus Side:

You look like 1994
People say "Hey is that a nut-pad on yer chin??" :lol:

All in jest, of course :wink2:

Wp

Pros and Cons of a Goatee

Plus Side:

Saves Razor Blades
You fit in a Pro-Wrestling Matches
You fit in at NASCAR events
It goes well with a permed mullet

Minus Side:

You look like 1994
People say "Hey is that a nut-pad on yer chin??" :lol:

All in jest, of course :wink2:

Wp

Now I definately won't be growing another one.:mad3:

:lol::lol::lol:

DL

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I wore one before I discovered wet-shaving. I have recently thought about growing another one. I can see how the down side would be shorter shaves. I suppose the main reason i may not re-grow one is the grey in mine. Two silver streaks. Otherwise, my wife is totally fine whether or not I grow one.

Just some thoughts about it Oldsaw, not sure if my post was helpful.

DL

Ah yes, the gray/silver. That is another negative that may be the biggest reason for shaving it off. Once thought of as a sign of wisdom is now becoming a mark of obsolescence.

I've had facial hair for longer periods than I've been without since 1971. Most of the time it has been a full beard, but maybe the Van Dyke which I currently sport is catching up. I don't know if it saves time or razor blades or anything, I just like wearing some form of facial hair. I don't think it is a look that everyone can pull off, but IMO (and more importantly, my Wife's) it works for me. BTW, mine is more white than dark.

When my Daughter was very young, I shaved my beard in preparation for going to CO for vacation. I shaved it with the intentions of immediately growing it back while on vacation. I came into my Daughters room to say hello, and she "freaked out"! :001_smile

So, my opinion is if you like the idea and your Wife (if that is a factor) likes it, then it really doesn't matter anybody else's opinion. In the word of the Nike marketers...Just Do It! :001_smile

I grew mine over a year ago and my wife loves it.....gray and all. As a matter of fact, she has forbidden me to ever shave it off. Another plus, for me anyway, is that I do not have to shave my hardest areas......chin and above the lip!!! It's not for everyone but I love mine.

I am very fond of my Van Dyke, grey hairs and all, and will never willingly shave it off. I think it goes great with the shaved head.
Pros: Easy maintenance. Less face to shave, saving time and wear on blades.
Cons: None.

Grew a full beard when in the navy, because it was the only thing you could do.. Tradition. kept the beard for 25 years. Swmbo had never seen me without. Decided one day to shave it off. Swmbo came home and nearly fell over...had never seen me without it. "now you have to shave everyday, and I know you won't so you had better grow it back". She was correct of course.. at that time canned GOO and Mach 3. Grew it back. Now is heavily trimmed and am considering it coming off. Str8 is too much fun as well as the SE's so the chore is gone. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Wore a van dyke for a while, recently shaved my chin for the first time in a few years. other than my chin being cold, not too many pros/cons either way. If you can pull it off, go for it! if it's not for you, a straight or DE will make quick work of it :shaving:

1. Grew mustache at 16 to pass for 18 and buy beer. (Simpler time and place!)

2. Stopped using Schick Injector at 18, went into army, bought Trac II, got married.

3. Grew beard at 22 because shaving sucked, I was a civilian again, and I wanted to look older and more mature.

4. Got "salt & pepper" look to beard at 35. Looked experienced and wise.

5. Shaved beard down to goatee at 40. Was beginning to look downright old!

6. Ex-wife left for younger guy. Goatee didn't help a bit!

7. Re-discovered a proper shave. Lost 15 years from looks and scored a hot babe who is now my SWMBO!!!

8. 'Nuff said!!! :001_tt2:

PS . . . don't think I will ever grow "chin whiskers" again!!

iv;e got a goatee iv'e been growing for a few months. I finally havent trimmed it shorter or shaved it off in about 3 months. I want it to be fairly long. Hairs are about 1 inch long right now.

It is much easier to shave if you have a goatee for sure.

here is a pic of it:

The wife cried the first time she saw me without one, so I normally keep it. It's normally six months or longer between full shaves, and my chin's cold for days when I do.

I find that if the hair's long enough to get in my mouth, that's too long. I use an electric trimmer with an adjustable guard at 4 mostly, and some small scissors to trim up around the lips.

Some women love a beard or a goatee and it's pure sex to 'em. Others are very much the opposite.

I've had one for about 12 years and never shaved it off from the time I grew it. Until about two weeks ago. I liked the clean look, but SWMBO went nuts and couldn't stand it. She had never seen me without it and thought I looked like a kid.

So, goat is back. Fortunately I can grow one in about 5 days.

Very rarely do I shave mine completely off. I usually trim it down, but I have a full goatee.

When maintained with clean lines, it is very acceptable. My wife loves mine. She says I look like a teenager without it. With it, I look my age.

I grew mine over a year ago and my wife loves it.....gray and all. As a matter of fact, she has forbidden me to ever shave it off.
My girlfriend is the same way. Doesn't want me to shave it off nor does she like me to dye it (used to in the past). Have to agree with her on the former. After 10+ years I don't look right without it.

Now I definately won't be growing another one.:mad3:

:lol::lol::lol:

DL

ah, come on. don't listen to this guy--- he don't know nuttin'

wouldn't be ME without my goat--- wife loves it--- looks so much better on the Electra Glide--- also looks great in a suit at a business meeting-- very versatile-- not like the FULL beard--- plus there are so many styles to choose from---

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...q=goatee&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&sa=N&um=1

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...q=goatee&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&sa=N&um=1

http://www.mensflair.com/media/how-gaotee.jpg

And, don't worry, you will get used to the handy-dandy goatee 'template' trimmer!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89mXqJjDvJI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Top Bottom