What's new

What fragrance would "Patrick Bateman" wear?

...People are constantly mistaking each other's names and identities throughout, even his lawyer thinks he's some other guy.

Definitely read the book! The movie might as well have just been the "trailer" for the book.

Very solid argument. i've read quite a bit of Brett Easton Ellis stuff, but never American Psycho because i've always felt the movie did such a good job.

i was always under the impression that he did Not do the murders, but it could be that just made me sleep better at night. i think you've got a very valid argument. so much so i may need to give the book a spin.

thanks for your thoughts!

...People are constantly mistaking each other's names and identities throughout, even his lawyer thinks he's some other guy.

Definitely read the book! The movie might as well have just been the "trailer" for the book.

Yes, definitely read the book! Please do keep in mind what Scentronic said, though, about it being graphic. Holy moly. I thought Irvine Welsh (my hands down favorite author) was graphic and gritty in his writing...

Great movie, awesome book!

V

VR6ofpain

I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
I like how in his bathroom you see ton's of L'Occitane products. I watched it the other day and thought this was pretty amusing. So maybe that is his cologne?

Great thread by the way!

I have a long-standing argument with several people about this.

At no time in the movie, OR (more importantly) book does the writer give the impression that the killings did not happen. I've spent a lot of time analyzing this very question, and although it is ultimately up to our own interpretations, I really believe that he did everything. The book is so literal and graphic, that there is no reason to believe that any of it is NOT happening.

Except, it's fiction, so none of it actually did. :001_smile

The premise being, it doesn't really matter whether these things really occurred in the book or not - it's the blackest of satires on the yuppie culture of the 80's, where materialism was supposed to be indicative of success and achievement. Ellis turned it into the most vacuous and banal of existences, that hides a robotic and unfeeling monster, with no real identity of his own beyond surface appearances.

Last edited:
Just because its published as a fiction and the author says its fiction, you can believe its fiction...but you never really know. Now do you?

Last edited:
I have a long-standing argument with several people about this.

At no time in the movie, OR (more importantly) book does the writer give the impression that the killings did not happen. The entire premise of the story is that he, by wanting to fit in so bad and having become SO absorbed by the surface of things and materialism, that he essentially loses his identity (or rather, that he never really had one). This lack of distinguishing characteristics that is so prevalent amongst he and his acquaintances is what allows him to elude consequence. In the book, the scenes are incredibly graphic, and quite literally describe the very sensations he experiences in his killings etc. And there are also things like the fact that he has a crystal ashtray with the burnt pubic hair of a random prostitute in it, along with the rat that climbs up out of his toilet, which he traps and keeps until he can find a girl to torture with it. (anyone who has read the book is squirming right now with the knowledge of what he did to the girl!)

I've spent a lot of time analyzing this very question, and although it is ultimately up to our own interpretations, I really believe that he did everything. The book is so literal and graphic, that there is no reason to believe that any of it is NOT happening.
Very solid argument. i've read quite a bit of Brett Easton Ellis stuff, but never American Psycho because i've always felt the movie did such a good job.

i was always under the impression that he did Not do the murders, but it could be that just made me sleep better at night. i think you've got a very valid argument. so much so i may need to give the book a spin.

thanks for your thoughts!

I have to agree with Scentronic on this. It never even occurred to me while reading the book (many years before the movie came out) that the murders were not real. I think the movie hinted at that possiblity, but I wrote that off as a Hollywood "feel good" element, which was notably absent from the novel. Also, while I enjoyed the movie, I almost felt like it was a tongue in cheek spoof of a very serious book (not quite a spoof, but you know what I mean).

Definitely one of the few books that actually kept me up at night.

BTW -- awesome thread, Josh!

I have to agree with Scentronic on this. It never even occurred to me while reading the book (many years before the movie came out) that the murders were not real. I think the movie hinted at that possiblity, but I wrote that off as a Hollywood "feel good" element, which was notably absent from the novel. Also, while I enjoyed the movie, I almost felt like it was a tongue in cheek spoof of a very serious book (not quite a spoof, but you know what I mean).

Definitely one of the few books that actually kept me up at night.

BTW -- awesome thread, Josh!

I think what you mean is the satire element. the movie is so thick with it it's in a class of it's own!

i've loved this thread too, and have a couple more ideas... should they go up on fridays? or more frequently?

I think what you mean is the satire element. the movie is so thick with it it's in a class of it's own!

i've loved this thread too, and have a couple more ideas... should they go up on fridays? or more frequently?

Yes -- "satire" is definitely a better word than "spoof." Thanks.

The movie was almost a satire of the book, which (IMO) was not at all satirical. :whistling:

BTW, I'm looking forward to your other ideas. Just a thought -- they might get even more play in the Barbershop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom