What's new

Rinse between passes?

Does everyone rinse between passes? I always do but I find that it can make my lather too watery by the final pass, so I have to go back to the puck.

ONLY using stainless steel blades canyou wipe yer blades clean..if not you will be wiping off the chemical thats on the blade

Kyle what I have been doing is using a warm moist towel to wipe down with between passes. I have very dry skin and this is my first winter using soaps, it has provide most difficult to keep the beard moist. I think I need to stick with cream through the winter because it provides a little more moisture. Still a work in progress in these winter months, espeacialy if the wife is beside me running the blow dryer.

Normally I don't rinse.
I only rinse if I feel that the face need a bit more moisture.

I always rinse between passes. Believe it or not I never considered not doing it. I remember now why. A long time ago I read somewhere that the soap was supposed to keep the water on your face and that it's the water that makes the shave effective. Anyways, tomorrow I will try not rinsing between passes...... hum.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I previously always rinsed thoroughly after every pass, then started experimenting by not doing it. It depends somewhat on that day's lather (I rotate soaps and brushes alot & therefore have day to day variations in my lather). If I sense during Pass #1 that the lather is lacking some in the moisture category, I rinse. If the lather is where I want it I may not rinse until Pass#5.

Normally I don't rinse.
I only rinse if I feel that the face need a bit more moisture.

Same here, although I think I may try a full rinse tomorrow regardless just to see what that's like. Maybe if my bowl lather is not quite perfect, it'll help whip things into shape on my face.

Here's hoping for a nice, slick, smooth shave!

Oh, and Hotel Dusk is one of my favourites -- great user name, Kyle Hyde. :thumbup:

YMMV, I only rinse between passes when it is needed. Sometimes, especially when face lathering, the soap in the brush can get very dry.

I face lather and I rinse with warm water between passes.

YMMV, I only rinse between passes when it is needed. Sometimes, especially when face lathering, the soap in the brush can get very dry.

What Neil and Rich said...I rinse, if only to get the old lather and bits of face and fur off prior to a fresh coat. Doing so also remedies having to add any water to the brush.

What Neil and Rich said...I rinse, if only to get the old lather and bits of face and fur off prior to a fresh coat. Doing so also remedies having to add any water to the brush.

+1 to this. I rinse and feel it keeps the lather just moist enough throughout all four passes. Then a final rinse with cold water.

It's probably user error on my part but after two trys with my new Trumper Violet (love that smell!), I've found the lather doesn't stay as moist as Fraser's.

I've started rinsing between each and think I'll continue this from here on out, even with other brands. Maybe it's necessary, maybe it's not but I like the feel and results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom