What's new

Brush burn? What are the symptoms?

I recently read a post about someone getting brush burn. I'm wondering if some of my past irritation was attributed to brush burn. Since switching to the Trac II, I've been using Gillette foamy (with absolutely no irritation) and my VDH boar brush (very soft now). However, I still can get irritation from soaps that take longer to lather. I face lather. I'm wondering if too much scrubbing on my face causes the irritation.

I have a golden nib finest knot brush on the way I got in a trade. Hopefully that will be a pretty soft knot. Badger does make better lather in my experience, but even my shavemac in finest wasn't soft enough for me.

never of sucha thing..Razor burn is the only thing that would cause irritation..try first swirling yer brush then swiping back n forth like a paintbrush..should fix this issue

Actually I get that burn when I use my T&F 1/1 Silvertip...I've tried the face lathering with out much success...not sure maybe I'm pressing the brush to hard into my face?

I usually only get the burn when I try to face lather...when I bowl lather I get near perfect shaves.

I found that a Vulfix Super stung whenever I lathered my face and persisting with it brought out the equivalent of razor burn.

That's why I primarily bowl lather. I do swirl the lather into my beard, but since I've already got lather it doesn't cause irritation.

I recently read a post about someone getting brush burn. I'm wondering if some of my past irritation was attributed to brush burn. Since switching to the Trac II, I've been using Gillette foamy (with absolutely no irritation) and my VDH boar brush (very soft now). However, I still can get irritation from soaps that take longer to lather. I face lather. I'm wondering if too much scrubbing on my face causes the irritation.

I have a golden nib finest knot brush on the way I got in a trade. Hopefully that will be a pretty soft knot. Badger does make better lather in my experience, but even my shavemac in finest wasn't soft enough for me.

Nice post.
First time I've ever heard the term "brush burn". But it makes sense to me.
I've a vulfix in pure badger that could scar a gator. I've recently gotten a penworks finest badger that is MUCH softer, yet still more than stiff enough for any soap.
I must agree that there is a good chance that "razor burn" just might, sometimes, be "brush burn".

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have never heard about "brush burn".
During my shaving experience I have used many brushes from different brands and in different hair grades, from low cost boar brushes to the most expensive silvertip badger brushes.
I never got irritation from any brush.
Anyhow someone who has very sensitive skin could get some skin irritation improperly using a shaving brush with firmer hair.
This is the only reason I can find for this so called "brush burn".

I've never heard of brush burn, but I guess anything is possible. Could be your brush is too stiff? Most of my brushes are super badger and I've never had this problem. It could be that you're using too much pressure when you lather. You could try a bigger brush which should be softer. Try using just the tips of the brush when you lather, use a light circular motion as you work the lather in, and then use the paint brush method to spread the lather evenly. A bigger loft on the brush should make for a more floppy, softer brush. Then there's always the silvertip brush with a bigger loft. Good luck. :001_smile

Top Bottom