What's new

Catridge razor confessional and pseudo-poll...

OK, I don't know how to make a real poll, so we'll do a pseudo-poll instead. Here's what I want to know: How often do you use a cartridge razor (despite extolling the virtues of DE shaving about two hours a day on this forum)?

1. A cartridge razor is my usual weapon.
2. I use a cartridge razor between 25% and 50% of the time.
3. I use a cartridge razor only when I'm in an extreme hurry.
4. I use a cartridge razor only when I travel.
5. Although I always shave with a DE, I sometimes do a little clean-up with a cartridge razor.
6. Never touch the stuff!

I'll start. For now, my answer is number one. I am settling into a nice routine with a NOS Atra using NOS Atra blades. Two gentle passes each day; DFS without irritation.

Now the confessinal is open for you! Be honest.:sneaky2:

I only use a cartridge for travel and maybe 4 or 5 times a year at home when I'm in a serious hurry and cannot skip the shave.

#3. I used to be #1, but have been making a concerted effort the last few months to give myself enough time in the morning to DE properly.

I use a Trac II to shave the back of my neck once per week.

Occasionally (this morning) I will also shave my face with it just for kicks and giggles :biggrin1: I will end up shaving with my Old Type later this evening so no harm no foul.
Wp

I have to go with #6.

Although I used to shave with a cartridge (Mach3), I was given my great grandfathers Schick Injector from 1953 and have been shaving with that baby for a while, I do switch back to the DE every so often just to switch up my routine.

#2 for me, although my actual percentage of cartridge use depends on the week. If I manage to get things organized for the following day at night, then I have time in the morning to do a proper DE shave. The last month or so has been mostly cartridge, but this week has been mostly Gilette Tech, probably because winter is beating the crap out of my skin and the Tech is the gentlest razor I have.

I use a Trac II everyday! Kingfisher, when you do a two pass shave with the Atra, do you do WTG and then ATG? You've also sparked my interest with the Atra. However, I have used these kroger (probably personna) sensor cartridges that look like they could also be used with Atra razors. No flexible blades, no lube strip, and no microfins. I wasn't that impressed so I don't know if I'd be that impressed with the atra.

#6.

Take a single blade Bic travelling. Multi blade razors are just bad news for my skin, and I've deduced the 2-blade Sensor variants, whose virtues are extolled here (relatively) are worse than the Mach3; I suspect its the angle of the blades. I'm happy as an Irishman at an open bar with my Slant and old Gillette Tech.

I use a Trac II everyday! Kingfisher, when you do a two pass shave with the Atra, do you do WTG and then ATG? You've also sparked my interest with the Atra. However, I have used these kroger (probably personna) sensor cartridges that look like they could also be used with Atra razors. No flexible blades, no lube strip, and no microfins. I wasn't that impressed so I don't know if I'd be that impressed with the atra.

I do WTG and the XTG. Sometimes I follow with a little touch-up around the chin/jawline where my beard is particularly dense. I have not been doing ATG.

My Atra experience has been with those brilliant NOS Gillette Atra blades from the late 70s (the ones with the green lube strip and the clever device that allows you to clean out the area between the blades). They are really nice. I can't vouch for any of the other blades people use for Atras.

Comparing the Atra to the Trac II, I like the Atra considerably better, although I use the Trac II a lot, too. I think the Atra is a bit gentler on my skin.

Comparing the Atra to the Trac II, I like the Atra considerably better, although I use the Trac II a lot, too. I think the Atra is a bit gentler on my skin.

I have never used an Atra but I have one on the way.
I can't imagine a cartridge razor being any better than the Trac II but I shall try the Atra out once it gets here so I can honestly compare the two.

Other than DE's the Trac II would be my 2nd choice for daily shaves.
Wp

A Bump Fighter handle loaded with Personna Trac II clone blades (no lube strip) is my daily shaver, and has been for about 3 months now. For me, the combination of a cheap handle and cartridge combo that's available wherever there's a WalMart and gives excellent results is hard to beat. I guess I'm "de-evolving", though, since I started out here at B&B using a M3 along with my brushes and soaps/creams. At this rate, in a few more months I'll be DE shaving regularly I suppose...(except for travel days, when the BF will still be my go-to).

That said, I guess at least for now I'm still a solid choice #1.

#6.....heading to Hawaii next week.....trying to decide on taking the Bull Mastiff or an old rough looking New Style.......decisions..decisions!

As a matter of fact I have 38 M3 cartridges that have been sitting in a drawer for a few years that I have been thinking of putting up in B/S/T. I have no plans on looking back:001_smile

~Lee

I use a cartridge only when I'm in an extreme hurry (so I know I'll be getting a crappy shave anyway), and I want to remind myself why I stopped using it in the first place, so I'm not tempted to try and use it under normal circumstances! :glare:

Top Bottom