What's new

Cologne versus Aftershave???

A quick question that some body may be able help me with. As both Cologne and Aftershave generally contain alcohol, they both should work as an astringent for closing the pores after a shave? Is that right?

Thanks Luc, having looked at the article i now see why you said yes and no, its not really clear as the properties of cologne and aftershave are generally very similar with the exception that cologne has a slightly higher scented oil content hence the scent last longer.

A quick question that some body may be able help me with. As both Cologne and Aftershave generally contain alcohol, they both should work as an astringent for closing the pores after a shave? Is that right?

The thread Luc linked to provides a wealth of info on this topic. But to answer your specific question, if all you're looking for is the "astringent" action of the alcohol, then theoretically the answer to your question would be "yes," both aftershave and cologne should work for that purpose. As you will see in the other thread, though, the purpose of an aftershave is somewhat broader than just the astrigent effect, whereas a cologne is generally not intended to be used on the face following a shave.

I also think cologne or EdT will make you reek to high heaven if spread over your face like after shave.

AS has a lower concentration of scent since it's going to smacked somewhat liberally on your face.

I know a guy who was smacking Obsession EdT on as AS and people were driven nuts by it. It puts something meant to be applied discreetly very forward and in the open.

There are fans of scented AS. I'm largely not one of them. I don't find them as long lasting as a "scent" and prefer to use EdT or EdP.

Top Bottom