What's new

Antique Store Find!

I was at an antique store with my mother yesterday, and she insisted on buying these for me. Her dad used the Wilkinson blades and she thought the Gillette Blade display was cool, and forced it on me. I have never used either of these blades so I don't know how they are, but I thought it was a cool find and wanted to show you guys!

I cant get the image to load so just click HERE

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Vintage blades are kind of hit or miss. With some exceptions, the blades of today are far superior to vintage blades, mostly due to the blade coatings that are present on the new blades.

Also, I think the complete Gillette Blue display with all of the blades intact might have some value to a collector, so I would look at reselling that, instead of using it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Also, I think the complete Gillette Blue display with all of the blades intact might have some value to a collector, so I would look at reselling that, instead of using it.

+2

Collectors Item. Don't use them.

Blue Blades = Horrible Shave.

Gillette Spoilers on the other hand.........

The Wilkinson's should provide a nice shave if you're so inclined. Would not use the Gillette's, sell them to a collector who will appreciate them

Good to know. I was feeling kind of bad thinking of opening one of the sealed Gillette Blue packs, because the display looks amazing. I think I will try the Wilkinson though. But for now they are still intact.

Actually the Blue Blades are "Super" Blues. They are coated and could be quite serviceable. I have a few packs and they provide very nice shaves. Mine are probably a bit newer than those pictured in this thread. It depends on how they were stored. Judging from the condition of the boxes and display card it looks like they could be OK. Of course, the only way to find out is to try them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Actually the Blue Blades are "Super" Blues. They are coated and could be quite serviceable. I have a few packs and they provide very nice shaves. Mine are probably a bit newer than those pictured in this thread. It depends on how they were stored. Judging from the condition of the boxes and display card it looks like they could be OK. Of course, the only way to find out is to try them.

I'm happy to hear that you got a good shave from them.

I have used them, and I can say personally that they absolutely suck for me. These blades are from around 1961, and are a far cry from the late 60's and 70's hey day of Gillette blades.

As they say here on B&B, YMMV, and that certainly seems to be the most true whenever we discuss blades! :lol:

Phil, my "Blues" are from 1976 and were bubble-sealed on display cards. They are just like new and shave as such. I've shaved with many different vintage carbon blades and it's very true that most of them are unusable. Sometimes I just get lucky.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil, my "Blues" are from 1976 and were bubble-sealed on display cards. They are just like new and shave as such. I've shaved with many different vintage carbon blades and it's very true that most of them are unusable. Sometimes I just get lucky.

I love those 70's blades. I think Gillette hit the sweet spot around the early to mid 70's on blade production. Just my opinion.
There's nothing like throwing a vintage blade in a vintage razor and getting that perfect shave.

If you actually plan to use these..call yer MD..think about how many years the paper along with the blade chemicals sat there..even blades expire @ some time or another..just a thought!

The packaging on those blades looks flawless. I would definitely try to resale them and not use them at all.

Top Bottom