What's new

UK military DE razors

Hello Gents, pleased to meet you. I have lurked on here for some time, but never really posted before. I am doing some research for a mini project - we are looking to release a commemorative gift product for a medium sized armed forces charity, and I thought of using a DE razor package - it's a nice item, and would be good as a gift.

First we were looking to use a merkur 1904 razor for its association withthe Gillette razors given out in World War 1, but then I found out that a large percentage of the UK armed forces actually have to use DE razors throughout their training because they are the only razor blades which are supplied in wartime, which seems like an even better fit.

Does anyone know what type of razor these are? I assume they are mass produced (plastic?). Ideally I would love to find either the civillian equivalent, or a similar looking product - any ideas? If it is made in England then even better!

Thanks in advance,
SD

I don't know what the British troops were issued, but the Americans had Gillette razors that were specially packaged for military use. Officers had nicer sets available to them, while enlisted soldiers used what was called the "Khaki Set."

They were made out of real metal . . . no plastic stuff for those men!!

I also don't think a Merkur would be appropriate . . . since we were at war with the Germans in WWI . . .

I also don't think a Merkur would be appropriate . . . since we were at war with the Germans in WWI . . .

+1 yes and I'm fairly sure it was the same in WW2 :lol:

I actually LOL'ed for real at that howler. Welcome to B&B OP good luck with your project.

I can't remember where or when but I saw a job lot of British military issue WW2 razors one time and they were rubbish: unbranded, badly cast, poorly finished pot metal. Nothing like the USA Gillette military issue in canvas packs. I asked my dad, a D-Day veteran, if that's what they were like and that's what he remembered, nothing special at all.
On the other hand I saw a WW1 British officers set once: different thing altogether: silver plated, calf leather case, the works.
I've no idea what if anything is issued nowadays - plastic disposables maybe?

Thanks fellas - I'll keep looking. I don't think they use disposables because of the supply of single blades (I assume because they are the easiest to transport in wartime). I might try the army rumour service - www.arrse.co.uk - someone there will probably use them.

BBrad - You're right, I'd rather do British-made if I can!

here is a 1943 british Service Set:

proxy.php

There's a lot more info on the old thread below, but they all look a lot nicer than the British WW2 military issue razors I saw. Were the service sets for retail sale rather than issue maybe?
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99808
This ones rather more like the ones I remember seeing, maybe it was a bit harsh to call them rubbish but compared with the Khaki sets issued to GIs - if they were, that is - they're not so great, and I know my pa wasn't over impressed with his service issue war department razor.
http://www.worldwarwonders.co.uk/vm...-Early-WW2-British-Army-Razor-Dated-1943.html
If you search on this site for razors it throws up a few:
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/select.asp

Last edited:
Hello Gents, pleased to meet you. I have lurked on here for some time, but never really posted before. I am doing some research for a mini project - we are looking to release a commemorative gift product for a medium sized armed forces charity, and I thought of using a DE razor package - it's a nice item, and would be good as a gift.

First we were looking to use a merkur 1904 razor for its association withthe Gillette razors given out in World War 1, but then I found out that a large percentage of the UK armed forces actually have to use DE razors throughout their training because they are the only razor blades which are supplied in wartime, which seems like an even better fit.

Does anyone know what type of razor these are? I assume they are mass produced (plastic?). Ideally I would love to find either the civillian equivalent, or a similar looking product - any ideas? If it is made in England then even better!

Thanks in advance,
SD

Hi Sidney,

Nice idea if it will raise funds.

Not sure if there's an "issue" razor. When I went through Basic we tended to just use either cartridges or disposables (was over 20 years ago :crying:).

Are you looking to make up a no-frills set, or a "shiny" set? If it's the former, Wilkinson Sword do a basic, plastic DE safety razor. It's their Classic http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=W&t=7412

That is brilliant - thanks so much! I have ordered one to see if I can get any inspiration (and because my collection is crying out for one!).

It is mainly going to be a "shiny" gift set. I'm torn between the Merkur 1904 and the suitably scary looking Parker 22r accompanied by a few very British accessories, Derby Blades, a certificate and some nice packaging. I'm leaning towards a brushless soap, so it probably won't appeal to DE connoisseurs, but hopefully we can come up with something which is decent value, introduces more people to DE shaving, and raises a decent whack for the charity.

Cheers chaps,
Sid

For a UK WW2 razor, might a Wardonia be appropriate? Bakelite would have reduced the demand for brass or steel and I 'think' they were made during that time period.

That is brilliant - thanks so much! I have ordered one to see if I can get any inspiration (and because my collection is crying out for one!).

It is mainly going to be a "shiny" gift set. I'm torn between the Merkur 1904 and the suitably scary looking Parker 22r accompanied by a few very British accessories, Derby Blades, a certificate and some nice packaging. I'm leaning towards a brushless soap, so it probably won't appeal to DE connoisseurs, but hopefully we can come up with something which is decent value, introduces more people to DE shaving, and raises a decent whack for the charity.

Cheers chaps,
Sid
I wonder if Edwin Jagger would come in and support you by supplying you wholesale, or better? Their razors are good value - maybe they would produce a special edition? Might it be a marketing opportunity for them?
What about Creightons (the Real Shaving Company) supporting you with some of the other stuff?
Or maybe Boots (going downmarket a bit) might give you a hand? Blades maybe?
Or maybe Web-Tex would do a deal on wash bags, Edwin Jagger would do a deal on a razor, Vulfix a deal on a brush... put them together and I'd buy a bag off you at the right price!
I'm pretty sure if you phone Jagger or Vulfix you'll be able to speak to a real person with a proper degree of say so. That's true of so many of the UK shaving goods companies - small enough to be real people with a chance that they've got a heart and can see an opportunity, plus they have a line on their budget for charitable stuff.

I'm speaking to all of those people, except for Creightons, who haven't answered the phone yet, plus Cyril R Salter, who are really nice and stock soem nice things. I haven't approached EJ with any requests for special editions yet - still waiting to get the wholesale catalogs through, but I was toying with the idea of some custom handles for the DE head which they sell separately.

Top Bottom