What's new

Wondering about DE Gilette razors

I have been reading some threads here and started to wonder. I have been a bit sore at Gilette for making the cartridge shavers so darn expensive. Now that I look at the posts people seem to be quite pleased about the DE Gilettes. Perhaps I need to re-evaluate my being pissed at Gilette. What is your oppinion of the DE Gilette razors? Are there any slant bar and adjustable DE Gilettes? How do they compare in quality to Merkur (My current one is a Merkur)? Are they well balanced? They take the standard blades like Merkur does? Other than ebay, where are they on sale (my current net connection has ebay blocked).

jbc:

First, IMO the Gillette DEs are probably better made than the Merkurs, even those Gillettes that are 50+ years older. Although the Merkur HD and Classics are good razors, they are pretty much clones of earlier Gillettes. There are a couple of different models of adjustables, slim and HD handles, and one long handled one. All the Gillettes I have used are well designed and well balanced, again better than most made today. I include in the overall Gillette name those that were made in England, Canada, and several other countries. Certainly, they all use a standard DE blade now; at one time the earlier ones did not. Other than eBay, the best place to find Gillettes is to look on the buying/selling sections of the shaving forums or on some online antique stores (generally kind of expensive). You can usually find some good razors at local antique shops for good prices. In addition to being functional razors, many of the earlier Gillettes are really works of art.

BobS

Andrew;

Thanks for the note. No snow yesterday, but snowing now. Expecting 6-12",
if you believe the weatherman. Cold too; 25 degrees. I think the worst is actually going to be south of us; very unusual. I'm going to have to go back and read all that stuff about global warming, I must have missed a paragraph somewhere. I'm freezing.

BobS

Top Bottom