What's new

C.O. Bigelow/Proraso, a potential problem

I picked up a tube of C.O. Bigelow shave cream from Bath and Body Works a few weeks ago, and I've got to say I'm very impressed with the product (it yields a much better lather than AOS Lavender imo, which has been primarily what I've been using). The problem I'm having, however,is that I've noticed that I've been breaking out much more recently. I looked into the matter a bit, and found a video on youtube with a Proraso spokesperson claiming that Proraso was the premier moisturizing cream on the market. Being a young guy (21) with oily skin, I'm barely out of the acne stage. Any moisturizing product brings on the pimples with a vengeance. I'd say my skin needs a good ringing out, not additional moisture. I'm not sure if it's the Proraso cream I've been using, or something else I may be unaware of. Has anyone else out there had this same problem with Proraso? Thanks in advance.

I haven't had that problem with Proraso.

Do you know for sure that it's acne? I suffered moderate acne all through my teen years and into my early twenties. Hindsight being 20/20, they were mostly ingrown hairs from crappy prep, poor blades and bad technique. Just something for you to consider, I'm assuming you're new to wetshaving.

I'm relatively new, been at it for about 7 months now.They're definitely not ingrown hairs, I'm 99% sure they're just plain old pimples. There are actually a lot of variables, Proraso just seemed to be the most likely culprit. I've been using Shave Secret, a preshave oil, a different brush with Proraso (with softer tips), I'm even in an entirely new setting (I was at school, but now I'm home for the winter break), a different razor blade.... I'll just keep switching it up until I fix the problem haha.

Maybe you are using too much oils. The preshave oil, camphor, eucalyptus oil, etc. Too much for your skin???

That was my thought also. If you already have oily skin, perhaps the preshave oil plus the moisturizers in the Bigelows puts you over the top?

Sounds plausible to me. I had been using the AOS preshave oil without a problem, but Shave Secret seems like a much different oil. I can just replace the preshave oil with the hot towel method and see if that works

I'm 23, and I've never had any problems with Proraso (my absolute favorite by the way). I've never found any shave soap that overly moisturizes my skin or makes me break out. If anything my skin is a little dry this time of year, especially in the mornings. Moving into the afternoon I get a little oily in the "T" area (forehead and nose).

When I was a little younger and still in school as an undergrad I just had to accept that I was going to have to wash my face in the middle of the day. Not necessarily with a soap, which might have made it too dry, but often just a splash and rub down with some hot water.

Edit: It should be noted though that I often don't use a pre-shave oil.

Take out the pre-shave oil and see what happens. One thing about Proraso is that it contains more coconut oil than the English style shave creams. Coconut oil is moderately to highly comedogenic. Also, menthol can exacerbate acne in some people.

Basically, if you isolate the other variables and Proraso seems to be the problem, stop using it. I would also avoid most creams that only come in a metal tube and switch to an English style cream. Those have a lot less coconut oil than Proraso.

As someone who has been dealing with acne for over 15 years, I can assure you that "too much moisture" isn't going to make your acne worse. It's all about what you are using to moisturize. If you put a glycerin based moisturizer on your skin, it probably won't cause any problems. Something like cocoa butter, which is highly comedogenic, will likely lead to breakouts.

No matter what cream you use, make sure you rinse thoroughly to get all the cream residue off (some of the residue you won't be able to see) before you apply your aftershave. Warm water, then cold water. Do not "scrub" your face, just rinse it thoroughly.

As someone who has been dealing with acne for over 15 years, I can assure you that "too much moisture" isn't going to make your acne worse. It's all about what you are using to moisturize. If you put a glycerin based moisturizer on your skin, it probably won't cause any problems. Something like cocoa butter, which is highly comedogenic, will likely lead to breakouts.

No matter what cream you use, make sure you rinse thoroughly to get all the cream residue off (some of the residue you won't be able to see) before you apply your aftershave. Warm water, then cold water. Do not "scrub" your face, just rinse it thoroughly.

+1

We have been told too many times by simplistic commercials that oily skin will breakout as soon as some moisturization is done, but this is not true. As you mention, moisturizing isn't a problem, comedogenic stuff is the problem (and not only for oily skin but for all kinds of skins).

Yup, dump the preshave oil stuff, use the Proraso (because it IS good for your skin...mine loves it), use alcohol based aftershaves and not balms, and you should be good to go.

Top Bottom