What's new

Merkur Slant + Feather Blade

Recommended. A smooth combination. Ignore the disinformation :mad3: about how "aggressive" a slant is. It is a smooth shaver and works well with a Feather.

I'm going to disagree with you on the aggressive part. When I use a "milder" blade like a Red Personna, my NOS Merkur Slant is pretty mild. But with a Super Irridium, it's becomes an extremely aggressive beast that mows the follicles down like a weedwhacker run amock. I have to be very careful with it to avoid heading to the blood bank for a withdrawal.

Jeff in Boston

I found it no more aggressive than any other DE, simply put I have to TRY to cut myself with one of these things.

Haven't had much luck with a Feather in anything. Now my slant with a 7 O'clock Yellow? That's smooth.

It all depends on the individual person's face for the most part. If you have already been shaving w/ a DE(or a straight), then the combo is nothing to be afeared of; however, if you are new to DE shaving, then it is an aggressive beast and deserves the nickname of Satan's razor.

There will be a small percentage of n00bie shavers who can jump right into using this combo; however, the majority will not be well served by doing so.

marty

hi all
my slant is my favorite razor ,i use a differant one every day but always look forward to the slant ,i to use a feather blade ,but will use anything i can get my hands on .the key thing to the slant is blade alignment and pressure or lack of . :thumbup:

When I first broke out the slant, I used it w/a feather & mangled my face. Repeatedly. So much so that I put the slant away for ~6 mos. I actually thought about selling it. Then, apropos of nothing, I figured I'd give it another try.

It's amazing what a little time & practice will do for your technique. The slant/feather combo is now my preferred hardware. Smoooooth shaving. :thumbup1:

You want to talk about an aggressive razor? Try Classic Shaving's Cobra Classic. That thing's a BEAST. Makes the slant seem like child's play.

I honestly don't know where the that myth of the Slant as an aggressive face mangler originated. It's a wonderful razor, smooth if you use it right.
But Feathers I can't use. They don't work for me in any razor, but hey: there's enough other blades to give me an excellent shave.

It's a solid combination if you can otherwise handle a Feather in another razor. I've had a Merkur 39C since November. Have used no other razor since. I'm getting closer shaves than with the HD or SuperSpeed that I own. I may at some point use the other razors but haven't found reason to yet because I'm so happy with the Sledgehammer Slant. I've use a Feather blade for the majority of shaves with mixed results - which is typical of my use of Feather blades in other razors. There are times when I do things perfectly and times when I do stupid things and hack my face like I did on Christmas day. That said, I've always had a small margin of error with a Feather blade and the Slant makes it no more or less true. When I get my blade shipment in later today I'll be able to test the Slant with a few other blades and see which is a better fit. Otherwise, this is not a combination to be feared unless you've had bad experiences with a Feather blade in other razors that you'd ordinarily have success with.

It's funny--I love my vintage slant, a non HD model, but every so often, I do get a bit mangled. This is after many nick free, very close shaves. Usually I switch to my HD for a blade or two and then go back to the Slant. I use exclusively Feather blades, and I've come to think that some days my technique is just not up to the Slant/Feather combination. I've thought about trying another brand of blade, but I do like those Feathers so much most of the time.

Shaving with the slant/feather combo for better than a week and I still love it. I can't put a feather in just any razor and get a good shave. :thumbup1:

A match made in heaven.........Slant: Smooth, with just enough blade to let you know it isn't a toy. You need to take your time with it, and it's more of a ritualistic experience. You treat the slant with respect, and it rewards you.

Here's to a sharp blade and warm lather.

Top Bottom