What's new

New User FAQ

New User FAQ
Here are some of the most common questions ive seen here. Just thought i'd put them all together to make it easy for the new guys to overcome the information overload.

Which is better: Soap Vs Cream
This is a question without an answer. Some guys swear by creams, others swear by soaps – most of us have a few of each. In my experience, the main differences are that creams have a stronger scent and provide more cushion, where soaps last much longer and are slicker.

What do the numbers on the blade mean?
One of the great mysteries of wet shaving. Some say they are part of a government mind control program, others say they are used to track your shaves with each part of the blade. Derby, when asked, say they're just for their own internal QA, and we needn't worry about them (or maybe thats just what they want us to think!).

Should I buy X or Y?
Why not buy BOTH!
Or check out the reviews section. Unless its a question of an unknown soap vs a well known and loved one, each product will have its fans. Just go with whichever one appeals to you most.

What are all these crazy acronyms?
The master list can be found here (BTW, YMMV IMHO)

Why am I still getting a lousy shave?
Wet shaving can be tricky. Cartridges were made because of this. Its well worth learning, but don't expect to get amazing shaves within your first few weeks. Don't even be surprised if you get some awful shaves the first few times you try it. Just rest assured that with some practice you will be getting the best shaves of your life real soon.

What does my user title mean?
That little tag line under your user name changes depending on your number of posts. If you say something particularly regrettable, you may be lucky enough for a mod to give you a custom title.

How do I know what direction my beard grows in?
Let it grow out for a day or so, and rub a cotton wool ball along it, it will snag against the grain, and leave little trails of cotton wool. It also helps to map this out so that you can refer to it when you're shaving. (heres a great image from Mantics blog that will help)

How long does a blade last?
It really depends on how heavy your beard is, and what kind of blade it is. About 4 times seems to be the average amount. If it starts to pull though, use a new blade.

Do I shave with one side, or both?
Both. What most guys here do is shave with one side until its covered in lather. Shave the other side until its covered in lather, and then rinse the blade and start again. Your usage of both sides should average out over your shaves.

Here is a more detailed FAQ in the wiki

Remember, there are always lots of members online to answer questions!

Last edited:

Do I shave with one side, or both?
Both. What most guys here do is shave with one side until its covered in lather. Shave the other side until its covered in lather, and then rinse the blade and start again. Your usage of both sides should average out over your shaves.

Whenever I try to shave with the handle side, I can never seem to cut anything? :confused1

Rats.

I think I've asked at least 4 or 5 of these questions. And not just when I was starting out--my latest post is 'Speick v. Musgo' :blushing:

Thanks for all your patience everyone.

Should we nominate this to be a sticky?

Well done Little Pink Christmas Hephelump.

Lucky you didn't miss any hyperlinks, that would have been embarassing :blush:

Last edited:
Ashamedly, I bought into the myth surrounding the numbers on the blade and the need to flip it over.

I'm amazed at the amount of information that members have compiled for those of us new to everything, from shaving or simply these forums. I'm just trying to limit my mistakes in both.

Ashamedly, I bought into the myth surrounding the numbers on the blade and the need to flip it over.

I'm amazed at the amount of information that members have compiled for those of us new to everything, from shaving or simply these forums. I'm just trying to limit my mistakes in both.
Most definitely. It surprises me sometimes how much there is to know about wetshaving, and I haven't even really scratched the surface yet.

I immediately pointed this post out to my brother who I am attempting to get started on DE shaving. The FAQ and WIKI are like having a complete set of the Encyclopedia Britannica of Shaving online !!!:velva2:
Happy Shaves

Last edited:
Top Bottom