What's new

Hosting a whisk(e)y tasting?

My wife and I are in the middle of a major addition/renovation to our home. One of the things we look forward to doing once the house has been completed is entertaining. I would like to host a whisk(e)y tasting either as a standalone event, or as a side attraction to more generalized event. Any pointers, comments, advice, experiences to share, etc.? I've Googled the subject and found some good information, but I thought I would see what my fellow B&B'ers have to say.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I would stick with one type of whiskey so that everyone could compare apples to apples, so stick with all Scotch or all Bourbon. I've never been to a whiskey tasting but I think this would be more beneficial than comparing an Islay to a Irish to a Kentucky Bourbon.

The first question you should answer for yourself is whether this is a sampler for people to see if they like whiskey or whether it's for people who know they like whiskey and want to know more about what flavors are possible in the wikkey.

If it's a sampler, keep it short, unstructured and provide a broad range of tastes. Start from light flavors and finish with strong. If you've got a trophy, serve a few other whiskies first so that people who find they don't really like whiskey or mix with it don't misuse the precious stuff.

If it's people who know they like the stuff, whether or not they can do whiskey geek-talk, you might do verticals on a tighter theme - such as different eras of one brand, one type of whiskey, mashbill, etc.

I've met with a group pretty much once a month for years and we do a lot of verticals (same brand but different bottlings, eras, ages, etc). We usually do theme nights (old rye, St Paddy's, are Wheaters just a hoax, etc.) with whatever oddball, dusty bottles somebody's turned up.

Whatever, though, don't try to do too much. Most newcomers can only really taste 4 to 6 whiskies, and even when one diligently sips small and rinses often there's only so much the tastebuds can do till they're overpowered with alcohol. Darn alcohol getting in the way of my whiskey!

Roger

Last edited:
Some things that came to my mind.

Do you or your wife know enough about whisky tasting to conduct such a event, and pass on some bit of knowledge to your guests?

Is it something that your friends/guests are interested in?

While it is something I would be interested in personally, I know that many of my friends would not be interested in it. Also if I were to attend such a event, I would like to be able to walk away with more knowledge that I had when I started. Otherwise it is just standing around drinking.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A little consideration about the water you serve the whisky with. Some places tap water actually smells a bit like chlorine. You may want to use filtered or bottled water. Apparently some makers of bourbon bottle the water they use so you can dilute the bourbon with the same water with which it is made. I've never experienced this myself but it sounds awesome.

Keep it to no more than 6 whiskies. Palate fatigue will set in soon there after. A theme generally helps. Wine finishes, Around Scotland, Wheated bourbons, pot still Irish, etc. Something to nibble on is good. Glassware designed for nosing may be helpful if the folks you're inviting are really into whisky but it's not a requirement. Plenty of filtered water both to drink and in vessels that allow a little to be added to the whiskies. If you've already got a collection and you're looking to design a tasting from what you have or if you're looking to make a shopping list shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to help.

The first rule of holding a whisky tasting: invite Pat. :thumbup:

The first question you should answer for yourself is whether this is a sampler for people to see if they like whiskey or whether it's for people who know they like whiskey and want to know more about what flavors are possible in the wiskey.

This is very important advice and bears repeating: know your audience.

Keep it to no more than 6 whiskies. Palate fatigue will set in soon there after. A theme generally helps. Wine finishes, Around Scotland, Wheated bourbons, pot still Irish, etc. Something to nibble on is good.

More good advice.

You will probably run out of glassware. Although when sipping on your own, you might be hesitant to rinse and pour a new whisky into your glass instead of just getting a clean glass, that'll have to be the plan. Make sure you have a clean sink and decent lint-free kitchen towels.

This also brings another important point: go from the more delicately flavored whiskies to the more robustly flavored ones over the course of the evening. Depending on your audience, this will keep them from having a more subtle flavors overpowered by the finish of their last sip, or simply help them "work up to" the more flavorful stuff if they're not accustomed. Palate-cleansing snacks like unsalted crackers, some veggies, etc help too.

If you think your guests would be amenable to the suggestion, perhaps ask them all to bring a bottle of single malt (noting what you already have on-hand). It's only polite to bring something to a party, and as such tasting parties can be a fun way to fill your liquor cabinet with the leftovers on the cheap. (You'll laugh, but I'm not really kidding) :blushing:

Some good points and advice so far. Yes, I would definitely keep it to 5 or 6 bottles. Don't want to send my guests home with burnt out taste buds, or sloshed for that matter. A theme will be in order as well. With my available stash, it would have to be limited to American whiskeys. It will be several months at least before my house will be in a state suitable for entertaining, so perhaps my collection will have grown by then. Maybe then a concentration on Scotch or even a small tour of whiskeys of the world would be feasible.

My guests would be friends and acquaintances that I think would be interested in the experience. Of those people, I probably have the most interest in and experience with quality Scotch, Bourbon, etc. so providing the tasting samples would be on my shoulders. I love the idea of folks bring a bottle to share and thus add to my collection, but given the price of even mediocre liquor and the limited selection of good stuff here in Alabama, I don't think that will happen at this point. Perhaps so if I was able to make it a regular thing with consistent participants.

Glassware won't be a problem as I've started picking up pieces here and there at garage sales, thrift store, etc. Smallish lowballs, snifters, etc. I may end up popping for a dozen Glencairns if I end up liking the B&B labeled ones that I'll be receiving soon.

I don't know about food. My thought is that spring water and some sort of classy, but simple, saltine type of cracker would be the best palate cleanser. The tasting would probably take place after a light meal or heavy hors d'oeuvres, so my guests won't be hungry and should still have "room" for some critical nips of whatever we're tasting.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Keep them coming! :thumbup1:

If you think your guests would be amenable to the suggestion, perhaps ask them all to bring a bottle of single malt (noting what you already have on-hand). It's only polite to bring something to a party, and as such tasting parties can be a fun way to fill your liquor cabinet with the leftovers on the cheap. (You'll laugh, but I'm not really kidding) :blushing:

Our little group generally does it the other way around - everyone brings a bottle and takes it with them when they leave (if there's any left :001_smile). Has worked great so far, people can trade amongst themselves, if they want, on their way out the door. Having the guests provide the booze is key for a scotch tasting, as far as I'm concerned given the $$$ involved. You can also get a kitty going as well and then the host goes out and buys everything from that, but that can get complicated...

Our little group generally does it the other way around - everyone brings a bottle and takes it with them when they leave (if there's any left :001_smile). Has worked great so far, people can trade amongst themselves, if they want, on their way out the door. Having the guests provide the booze is key for a scotch tasting, as far as I'm concerned given the $$$ involved. You can also get a kitty going as well and then the host goes out and buys everything from that, but that can get complicated...
What a great idea - I am inspired! Will they bring the nibbles too?

I'm one of the organizers for the Victoria Whisky Festival, so I do know a thing or two about tastings...

It depends on whether you want the tasting to be primarily a social event, or a serious 'learn about whisky' thing. All of the above are excellent guidelines for social events, but if you want a serious tasting I would add the following comments:

-Use some sort of standardized glass for all of the whiskies. Different glasses can make the same whisky nose differently, making comparisons difficult. ISO glasses are very inexpensive and excellent for the purpose.

-Someone should lead the discussion, to keep things on track. It's nice if everyone is on the same whisky at the same time.

-Pour the whiskies about 10-20 minutes before they are nosed/tasted to allow them to 'settle.'

-Give some thought to providing large paper 'spit' cups. This gives people the option of not swallowing their whiskies. I find that if I don't do this, after about three or four whiskies I'm no longer finding the subtleties of each spirit, but just drinking - my ability to detect faint aromas and tastes has been anesthetized.

-Provide bottled water, NO ICE!!!

-Save any food/nibblies for after the tasting - food will have a deleterious effect on the ability to taste the flavours. A rinse with tepid water will cleanse the palate just fine, even better if it's sparkling water.

Please keep in mind that doing these things doesn't need to take all the fun out of the tasting. Just the opposite, done with a light touch, these can make it much more enjoyable - give it an 'event' feel, and encourage discussion. Not everyone will find the same aromas/flavours, some will find extras, and there are no wrong answers - it should be fun! :thumbup:

Just my $.25 Cdn...

I would say the following guidelines will keep things flowing well for you as I have done a couple of tasting nights myself.

1. Keep things simple. Just scotch, whisky, bourbon, wine, tequila (or whatever you are tasting that night). Don't mix and match.

2. Have some knowledge about what you are tasting but don't be a know-it-all. Someone you invite may know more than you.

3. Encourage your guests to bring their favorite to share.

4. Provide palate-cleansing snacks and water.

You can even mix it up a little bit and include some games with it if you like. For instance, you can have everyone make tasting notes or even take a guess at what they are having before you tell them what they just drank, with a prize being a bottle of something perhaps.

Top Bottom