What's new

The correct Ted Pella SE blade?

I have two of my fathers GEM razors. I tried one razor with some GEM blades I had for a paint scraper. I got a very close shave with only one weeper. I want to put the razors into my roation, however I only have two of the old blades left. I went onto the Ted Pella website and think the correct blade I need to order is the, SE PTFE-coated blade Product #121-3, 200 blades for $34.85. Experienced GEM users: Is that the right blade? Thanks, Doug Rosso

wow, you got lucky on those scraper blades!:scared: I'm not 100% on the pellas, as i prefer carbon steel SE's but from what i have read, those are the ones to get.

I should have explained that I did not take the blade out of a scraper. It was a new GEM SS blade out of a grey, plastic, spring loaded container, that says, GEM. I purchased them a number of years ago to clean some paint off my home windows. I believe they are the same type of blade that GEM sales now. I don't know if they are coated. They are very sharp! I can feel them cutting the hair as the blade glides across my skin.

I should have explained that I did not take the blade out of a scraper. It was a new GEM SS blade out of a grey, plastic, spring loaded container, that says, GEM. I purchased them a number of years ago to clean some paint off my home windows. I believe they are the same type of blade that GEM sales now. I don't know if they are coated. They are very sharp! I can feel them cutting the hair as the blade glides across my skin.

Those are blades marketed as GEM "Blue Star" blades. I've also seen them marketed as "specifically designed for shaving", but I think that's a load of hooey.

What you describe can be gotten (10 at a time) at a local Walgreen's and is a very good blade. If you don't want the large quantity that Pella requires and you're looking to buy other stuff from Amazon at the same time (bumping the purchase over $25 for free shipping) you can get these, which are identical.

- Chris

. . .I went onto the Ted Pella website and think the correct blade I need to order is the, SE PTFE-coated blade Product #121-3, 200 blades for $34.85. Experienced GEM users: Is that the right blade? Thanks, Doug Rosso

Doug --

Yup. Those are the blades.

-- John Gehman

I have two of my fathers GEM razors. I tried one razor with some GEM blades I had for a paint scraper. I got a very close shave with only one weeper. I want to put the razors into my roation, however I only have two of the old blades left. I went onto the Ted Pella website and think the correct blade I need to order is the, SE PTFE-coated blade Product #121-3, 200 blades for $34.85. Experienced GEM users: Is that the right blade? Thanks, Doug Rosso

Them's the ones.

Can also be had at http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx item D in 100 blade lot. Costs more per blade but their shipping is *much* cheaper. Pella required FedEx signature which cost a bunch. So the per-blade price comes out closer, although still higher, but you only need to buy half as many.

Also available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/RBSX-25-25-Pa..._3?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1262727771&sr=1-3. Don't let the picture scare you! Someone with both did report that these are the same as the Pella blades. Can also be had in 10, 50, 100 packs.

The GEM Personna Super Stainless are also good, but they are not the same thing. A while back someone with a high-powered microscope posted pictures of the edges and there is an obvious difference. None the less, I started with the Personnas and thought they were great. I switched to Pellas just to get them in bulk and did not realize they were different until I saw the pictures.

I'm not sure what the model # is. I has a metal shaft attached to the head, with "GEM" molded/raised lettering, on the front of the metal shaft and a black plastic handle. I did some research and found a picture of it, but there was no model # or a name. The other GEM is a "Contour" I think, I saw a Contour II, but they appeared to be the same. I have not used that razor yet. Doug Rosso

I have used the walgreen and the stainless teflon coated, I think walgreen's keep an edge longer, I cannot get more than 2 -3 days out of the telfon coat; I can get an easy 4 maybe 5 out of walgreens
ken

Top Bottom