What's new

The Mysterious Button

So I have a double breasted Pea Coat. On the inside flap of the jacket there is a button loop with a button on the inner lining of the outer flap. It's the same size as the buttons on the outside of the coat. The button and loop are in the exact location of the top, non functional button, just on the inside of the jacket. What is this button for? I can't seem to find an answer.

It is throughly impossible to button while wearing the jacket as you're not only trying to button a button backwards, but on the inside of the jacket no less. You'd have to be able to do it one handed, which I can't with it's current location. I figure it has something to do with keeping the shape of the jacket correct so I've been buttoning it when hanging the coat but I'm not really sure what it's there for. Any thoughts?

It's for buttoning. It keeps the inner flap from shifting around and looking weird. It's a bear to button at first, but should work with a little practice.

It's called a jigger. It's meant to keep the flaps aligned and flat. It makes for a trimmer, neater look.
Hold the outer flap out straight with your left hand, attach the jigger with your right hand, close flap and button.

- Peter

Top Bottom