What's new

Homemade Pre-Shave?

Hello all,

Been "wet shaving" since last may. I'd say I'm getting better all of the time. My skin is very sensitive and I find a pre-shave really helps out. That and controlling blade angle and number of passes.

So I've tried several pre-shaves:
Anthony
PSO
T&H
Feather
Proraso (used only with propaso creams). :)

I like the feather pre-shave the best. Its super cheap and seems to do the job.

But it had me thinking why can't I make my own? So does anyone have any old family recipes they would like to share?

Any massage oil. It's nearly the same thing.

For C&E Sweet Almond Oil Shave Cream, I use Aura Cacia Sweet Almond Natural Skin Care Oil. (5.99USD - Amazing results)

For Taylor's Avocado Shave Cream, Aura Cacia Avocado Natural Skin Care Oil. (5.99USD - Waiting for it to be delivered)

View attachment 4547View attachment 4549

I don't know about best, but my recipe for a great pre-shave WAS using plain hair conditioner shaving straight from the shower. Now, though, glycerin from the local drug store (about 4 bucks) has replaced the conditioner. Very nutitive and slick. Face gets BBS. Nice.

Hello all,

Been "wet shaving" since last may. I'd say I'm getting better all of the time. My skin is very sensitive and I find a pre-shave really helps out. That and controlling blade angle and number of passes.

So I've tried several pre-shaves:
Anthony
PSO
T&H
Feather
Proraso (used only with propaso creams). :)

I like the feather pre-shave the best. Its super cheap and seems to do the job.

But it had me thinking why can't I make my own? So does anyone have any old family recipes they would like to share?

As I recall, a lot of the pre-shave oils on the market are a base of 2 parts castor oil and 1 part olive oil.... The castor oil softens the hair and the olive oil helps the oil bond with your skin/hair. There's usually a bunch of other ingrediants, generally for scent, etc... I'd work up a base of 2:1 castor:eek:live and then play around with adding essential oils, and other things you want to try. You might find some really great results.

M

member 1211

I've found the same as rusirius however I throw my own spin into the equation. I use Avocado Oil mixed with castor oil. Sometimes I use straight avocado oil, but regardless I find it at my supermarket in the ethnic foods section for under $3.

Other then that I love the Musgo Real PSO, and the True Gentleman Unscented PSO (it has a mild verbeena scent to it)

Talk to Trader Joe...
I know he's been working on his TJ PreShave for awhile now !!

I'm on batch #8 now, and I must say....its getting VERY good....I've been able to shave every day in a row now for 14 days (for the 1st time in my life) and can't seem to get any irritation even when I purposely try to. Plus, my skin has never felt better.

ps - I don't use castor OR olive oil :biggrin: - too heavy

I use witch hazel, which I can pick up for $1 a bottel at a neighborhood dollar store, does excellent.

try to use noxzema face cream or the walmart equilvalent....i have proraso pre-shave and i think the proraso has more menthol in it....but you will get 4 times the amount for half the price with the noxzema....

Noxzema use to have it's own shave cream....

on the shave oil...castor oil and extra virgin oil oil with a drop or two of lavender essential oil is the recipe for Art of Shaving shaving oil...

mark tssb

I'm on batch #8 now, and I must say....its getting VERY good....I've been able to shave every day in a row now for 14 days (for the 1st time in my life) and can't seem to get any irritation even when I purposely try to. Plus, my skin has never felt better.

ps - I don't use castor OR olive oil :biggrin: - too heavy

TraderJoe, can you please share your recipe?

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
try to use noxzema face cream or the walmart equilvalent....i have proraso pre-shave and i think the proraso has more menthol in it....but you will get 4 times the amount for half the price with the noxzema....

Noxzema use to have it's own shave cream....

on the shave oil...castor oil and extra virgin oil oil with a drop or two of lavender essential oil is the recipe for Art of Shaving shaving oil...

mark tssb
+2^ I use Noxema cream to wash my face and then apply jojoba oil, shower, shave with Poraso and VDH, warm rinse, cold rinse, alum, witch hazel and lastly, AS or ASB.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I think there's still dust on that thread! :laugh:

Top Bottom