What's new

Help Choosing Boar?

Hey cool folks--

I was wondering if I could get some advice for choosing a boar brush. I have an Omega Professional (the giant paintbrush one) and it's been good, but I picked up a C+E boar on ebay and it's really spoiled me. So...

(1) Are there boar brushes with long handles, other than the paintbrush?
(2) Between the Kent Visage, Omega, Semogue + others I probably don't even know about, is there one that is clearly better quality?

thanks for your time.

Matt, now that we have your attention....

I also have the Omega Pro and I'm in the middle of putting it in a PIF kit. I like how it lathers, but it's just too big for my tastes. Is there a smaller knot boar brush that is better quality. I've been looking at the Semogue 1305 and 605, but I would like to know how big the knots are compared to the Omega Pro. Or do you have another suggestion?

Please excuse me for the hijack

I too, am in the same situation as yourself and am looking at adding a boar to my lineup.. Will be watching this thread with interest

When you guys that are referring to the Omega Pro are talking about the #48 then I agree that it is too big, for my taste anyway.

I am much happier with the smaller Omega boars. The most difficult part of finding your fav boar is maybe that they call them all just plain boar, while the differences between brands can be very big. Vulfix also makes quality boar brushes but they are totally different from the Omega's.

Maybe the best thing to do is to find a vendor who carries more than 1 or 2 good boar brands and buy several. Shipment wouldn't be too much like this and for relative little money you can experience those differences at the same time.

Matt, now that we have your attention....

I also have the Omega Pro and I'm in the middle of putting it in a PIF kit. I like how it lathers, but it's just too big for my tastes. Is there a smaller knot boar brush that is better quality. I've been looking at the Semogue 1305 and 605, but I would like to know how big the knots are compared to the Omega Pro. Or do you have another suggestion?

Please excuse me for the hijack

Well there's actually several Pro brushes that Omega produces. Probably the three most common ones the 10048, 10049 and 10098, which is likely the one Scott has. Anyway, they run from 27-28mm in diameter with a loft of 70-65mm. However, it's worth noting that Omega does make some smaller brushes and if you haven't done so already I would take a look at the selection over at Shoebox Shaveshop. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway, but Gary carries probably the largest selection of Omega boars in the US. So you might be able to find something there to fit your needs.

Now I don't own either of the Semogue models you were looking at, but if they're anything like the Semogue 2000 and 2009 LE Boar I do own, they're well made with nice solid handles. The 1305 runs 22mm in diameter with a loft of 55mm, and I think the 620 has same loft in a slightly smaller knot. Now like I said, I couldn't tell you exactly how they'll perform other than that my 2000 is an excellent performer. Anyway they may be exactly what you're looking for for your PIF, although you might be able to fine a similarly sized Omega for slightly less money.

Hopefully, this helps some. :001_smile

The 1305 is a marvellous little brush.
A true lather-machine & a nice piece of craftmanship.

Semogue looks and feels a lot better then Omega.
But, Omega also has excellent quality & make great brushes.
Kind of different though.
I just love my Omega 49, with soap/face lathering its the greatest brush on earth IMHO.

But hey, boar is so much cheaper than badger, that you can get several to try!

I've only used two boar brushes, the semogue 1305 and an Omega Pro

Of the two, Omega gets the nod for performance, and semogue gets the nod for craftsmanship. I recently picked up the Limited Edition semogue brush, and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.:001_smile

I've been eying the Kent VS30 (50mm loft), the Semogue 620 (22mm knot/50mm loft), and I own a Vulfix 2233. The 2233 is a great brush. I really like the handle, too. The Vulfix is a small-ish brush.

-Andy

narrow down your parameters, then ask Matt.

As Matt guessed, my Omega is the #10098...I shave my head, so the length comes in handy, but I'm starting to wonder if it's too stiff and bulky.

I'm not sure about knot size, but I haven't noticed any problems using anything between 21-24mm.

Thanks for all this information fellas, it helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom