What's new

Heres a Thought

Here is a thought, we warm our brushes by soaking them. What if you soak your razor as well? I have done it, it seems to work. What are your thoughts on this?

sometimes I throw all the kids in the pool: proraso tube, razor and brush. take a shower and come back to it all, dry the razor handle off, mix up the lather and go.

Doesn't seem like it should hurt anything... though, for me, I don't really soak my brush to warm it up. After the shower, I shake out and squeeze most of the water out, and by that time any warmth is gone. I soak it because this is the best way I've found to get a consistent amount of water in the brush before loading it up... if I try just holding it under water, my results are unpredictable.

No point. Razor gets hot just from rinsing lather off of it; sometimes almost TOO hot. You can burn yourself with one of those things if you're not careful.

I just run the head under hot water for about a second before I start shaving with it. Leaving the whole razor to soak could get water in places I don't really want water, like inside the handle.

I just run the head under hot water for about a second before I start shaving with it. Leaving the whole razor to soak could get water in places I don't really want water, like inside the handle.

Kind of what I was thinking.

DL

I soak my brush but running the razor head(or blade for straights) under hot water for a couple seconds works fine. I do have a bit of a problem keeping averything else warm while shaving.

In the winter I soak my razor (DE only) just to warm it up because I don't like a cold razor on my skin. In the summer I just leave it on the counter.

I soak my brush in a coffee cup half full of near boiling water (microwaved) while I fill the sink with hot water and set out my shave bowl and pre-shave oil. Sometimes I soak the head of the razor along with the brush, too. I don't know if it makes any difference in the blades performance or not. I do remember in science class, learning that cold makes things shrink and heat makes them expand. As far as a metal razor blade if that has any effect or not. When I do put the brush to my face after mixing soap or cream into the right lather, it is very warm and feels great.

I soak my brush in a coffee cup half full of near boiling water (microwaved) while I fill the sink with hot water and set out my shave bowl and pre-shave oil. Sometimes I soak the head of the razor along with the brush, too. I don't know if it makes any difference in the blades performance or not. I do remember in science class, learning that cold makes things shrink and heat makes them expand. As far as a metal razor blade if that has any effect or not. When I do put the brush to my face after mixing soap or cream into the right lather, it is very warm and feels great.

You can't get enough heat or cold onto the blade from your water to alter the blade's performance in any way. If you think about it, if you had your "druthers," you'd rather the blade shrunk than expanded, anyway.

In the winter I soak my razor (DE only) just to warm it up because I don't like a cold razor on my skin. In the summer I just leave it on the counter.

+2 .. I find that it doesn't affect the performance of the shave at all; It simply adds to the pleasures of wet shaving

The razor, being metal, conducts heat rather quickly. It does not need to absorb water like a brush. I just run it under warm water to take the chill out before I put it to my face. That seems to do the trick.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I always soak everything while in the shower. Brush, razor (DE or straight), bowl...

No point. Razor gets hot just from rinsing lather off of it; sometimes almost TOO hot. You can burn yourself with one of those things if you're not careful.

+1. There's been a couple of times the razor feels almost painfully hot after rinsing:w00t:

Top Bottom