What's new

Recommend a Shave Oil.

Try this it works and is cheap!

proxy.php

From the organic foods section of a market you can buy small bottles of almond oil or grape seed oil or coconut oil, or whatever scent you may be into.

If you want a pre-shave that is not oil based, I personally like the Proraso pre/post cream (both green and white jars) and Castle Forbes pre-shave (expensive!). I have not tried the GFT skin food but that's another option.

I have used the aos preshave oil and it was ok. It seemed to gum up the blades more than i liked.

The oil I am currently using is the shave secret oil i picked up from wal mart for around $4. I really like it. Doesn't seem to collect on the blade like the aos oil, has a nice smell to it (its mentholated, a good thing in my book).

Its worth a try for $4-5 bucks.

For an easily available, cheap one - King of Shaves is pretty good. A bit more expensive but very nice is the Grooming Lounge Preshave Oil. A touch better, but still more expensive is The Gentlemen's Refinery. If I had to pick one of these now, I would probably go with the Grooming Lounge version. Please note, this info is based on my usage of each over two years ago. I don't use preshaves anymore, so I am unsure whether any of these has been changed.

I used American Crew shave oil a bunch of years back, and recall that I liked it a lot... So much so, that I'm looking for it around town again. I also just got a bottle of Pacific Shaving shave oil from West Coast Shaving and used it this morning. Nice pre-shave, that. I used it under some barely adequate MWF lather and got a GREAT shave.

Yeah, but it is unscented? Most commercial preshave or shave oils smell like cloves.

The reason that most commercial presahve oils smell like cloves is that they have clove oil in them. If you want a truly unscented oil, you may have to go with cooking oils (cannola, vegetable, etc) since they have the least scent and flavor. Even oilve oil has a scent.

Can anyone comment on T&H's offering? I know it's probably as expensive as they come, but it's the only one that seems to get a thumbs up consistently in reviews.

Forgive me for maybe a silly question...

Do you apply a pre-shave oil on the face then apply shave cream or soap lather directly on top of the oil? I imagine this provides more lubricant?

I tried shaving with an oil only and couldn't get over the tugging and the feel of the blade, but the results of the shave itself was wonderful. I might need to look at this again.

Yes, pre-shave oil, then either shaving cream or soap - as has been discussed in other threads, the purpose of the oil is more to soften and moisturize the face rather than the beard.

I use American Crew and like it a lot, but have heard good things about Kiehl's 31-0 shave oil. You can find it on their web site. Good luck in your search.

Jeff

Top Bottom