What's new

Please recommend a Merkur Brush

Hi, wanted to get your opions/thoughts/ideas on this.
I'm getting my brother a shaving kit for his 40th (never too late to turn back from the dark side eh)

From the reviews here I've pretty much whittled it down to the Merkur 38c (just to be different). I want to put a set together that will look the part, ideally all Merkur to keep the "set" intact.
Again, from reviews, the brush that comes with the sets aren't meant to be great. This was a surprise, did you guys find Merkurs brushes to be low quality? I know it could be some disgruntled fella but it made me pause to post.
I've settled on the razor, so really it's a Merkur Brush I'm looking for. Can you recommend a good Merkur Brush? (I know badger hair is the standard)

Thanks for any responses
Brian

eg: Merkur 38c set
The brush doesnt seem to be Merkut here:
http://www.fendrihan.com/merkur-barberpole-3piece-classic-wetshaving-p-69.html

I bought the Merkur Futur set that comes with a silvertip brush. I've found the brush to be good. It lathers well; however it does drop a bristle every now and then. I think it would be a good starter brush.

my $0.02

Thanks Dustin,
Yeah that pretty much sums up what Ive found - you're very posh by the way, that expensive stuff!
Im trying to keep costs down (a bit). Any of the wooden handled ones better? I'm willing to pay up to $50

Ta

ogriofa,

I owe you an apology. I thought Merkur only made the Vision and the Futur brush. I'll have to see what else is available.

I know that's a lot to pay for a brush that doesn't seem to be held in as high regard as say Rooney. I would just like to match the handle to my Vision and Futur razors. I'm willing to pay a little more to satisfy my desire. The only problem is that my wife doesn't always see it that way.:lol:

DL

ogriofa,

I owe you an apology. I thought Merkur only made the Vision and the Futur brush. I'll have to see what else is available.

I know that's a lot to pay for a brush that doesn't seem to be held in as high regard as say Rooney. I would just like to match the handle to my Vision and Futur razors. I'm willing to pay a little more to satisfy my desire. The only problem is that my wife doesn't always see it that way.:lol:

DL

thats ok my good man, theres very few in the range, and of course... expensive.
Yeah, they're pretty classy looking units

Just thinking, Im in the wrong forum!! I'll delete this tomorow.

Last edited:
I bought the Merkur Futur set that comes with a silvertip brush. I've found the brush to be good. It lathers well; however it does drop a bristle every now and then. I think it would be a good starter brush.

my $0.02

Agree. Same set, same silvertip brush here...Indeed about the bristle loss.Not loss at base knot, more bristle breaking in the middle of hair.

Top Bottom