What's new

Red spots on my face.. what are they?

I started getting these spots on my face (or more of them) after I started using a DE razor. I'm not sure why. the blade doesn't feel bad at all. The brush has a nice feeling (although a little stiff), but it's not uncomfortable. I use proraso' cream.

Any ideas why such devilish spots come to me?:scared::mad3::bored::001_tt2:

-Compaq-

it's just your face adjusting to a new way of shaving/routine - it'll get better with time. and i suggest you try blades other than merkur

They could be weepers (almost-nicks), which is a sign that you're using too much pressure. The Merkur blades are not very well regarded overall, but try easing up on your pressure. You may find that you need to make an extra pass to get an acceptable shave, but it's better than dicing your skin!

does it look like acne with a whisker in the very center?

if the answer is yes, then it's folliculitus...an inflammation of the hair follicle. it's caused when bacteria from your hands and face either gets on the blade or is introduced into micro-nicks on the skin by the razor itself. the hair follicle gets basically infected.

fortunately, the solution is easy. get some 70% isopropyl alcohol and put it in a small spray bottle. spritz your blade a few minutes before shaving. the drying alcohol will kill the bacteria and no more red splotches.

i had this issue myself and i can verify it works. if this is not the case, then it may simply be areas of irritation. remember to use a light stroke with plenty of heat to soften the whiskers and aid cutting

You know, random thought on this...

Maybe he should give his shaving brush(es) a good spray down too. I doubt it, but I suppose it's POSSIBLE for some of the same bacteria to be in his brush.

You know, random thought on this...

Maybe he should give his shaving brush(es) a good spray down too. I doubt it, but I suppose it's POSSIBLE for some of the same bacteria to be in his brush.

it can happen...

i wouldn't use alcohol on the brush however as it might dry out the hair. you could certainly use a mild dish soap like dawn. it'll clean the brush and kill germs in the process.

I thank you for replies! There are several reasons mentioned here, and all will be considered. I purchased the west coast shaving's blade sampler 20th december, so I'm awaiting this one. i've also found out that I can buy Gillette's blades where I live, but I don't know which type of blades. Perhaps 7O'clock?

I hope it's just my face adjusting, but perhaps I'm using too much pressure? I'm simply leaning it towards my face, and take it downwards. Perhaps I use too fast strokes? Should I be doing it very slow? I'm sure I'm stroking faster than what mantic is showing... I feel no pain during the shave, but perhaps "almost-nicks" aren't painful?

I'll just wait and see. I read somewhere something that someone said (wow, that's many somes:001_tongu) about "after two weeks of this shaving my skin was better than it was.."

-Compaq.

Hard to know what the bumps are from your description. Could be folliculitis, ingrown hairs, nicks, pimples, anything. I would definitely recommend sterilizing your razor and blades before each use with rubbing alcohol. Also, you might not want to fill your sink with water to shave with. Instead, get a large, clean salad bowl or tupperware container, fill that with water, and then use it to rinse your razor while shaving. That should cut down on bacteria a lot.

Slowing down with your strokes is a good idea. Watch the pressure, don't use any pressure at all. Shorter strokes are good too. Don't forget to NOT go over areas of your that don't have lather on them. In other words, those vacuum cleaner type strokes that everyone does with their Mach3 razors don't work well with a DE. It will just tear up your skin.

Last edited:
From the description, my guess is that these little spots are actually areas of abrasion. I get them when I shave with a DE, too. Not every shave, but maybe every two or three shaves, even though the shave felt comfortable, I find small, usually oval red spots after I have finished shaving. They stick around for a week or two, or even longer, gradually fading.

I've discovered that I can get these spots with a cartridge razor, too. Generally, I get them when I push too hard or re-shave areas that have not been relathered.

When I think about it, can a too dry lather cause this problem? Is it correct to say that a dry lather won't make my face as "glidy" as a wet (perfect) lather, and thus causing this irritation/ingrown hairs?

I studied the spots just now, and in many of them, I can see a very small darker point in the middle, hair-diameter-sized. Not all are like this, though. Are these ingrown hairs, perhaps?

But how about that lather? I remember that the last time I shaved, the lather had dried a little when I came to my mouth (the last place I shave). If I add more water, perhaps it'll be better?

-Compaq-

You could always test to see if the spots go away by using your previous shaving method, e.g. cartrigdes. No one mentioned it, but you could have an allergy to something in the proraso or other products - so trying another cream/AS may help.

Good luck,
Nate.

It's not the AS, that one feels great and "heals" my skin. Perhaps the proraso cream, but I don't think so. Would I get spots from allergic reactions? Or rash-ish reactions?

the important thing to differentiate is "spots" (called macules by professionals) from bumps (called "papules" by professionals).

I got the idea from your first post that these spots were FLAT. If they are raised AT ALL, then my idea of small abrasions from too much pressure becomes wrong. The spots I'm talking about are small, oval to round, and completely flat.

If they are really BUMPS, then it changes the choices considerably.

The same thing happened to me after a couple months of using proraso. I started getting small red spots that resembled small mosquito bites. They itched and spread, finally had to go to the Dr and get on antibiotics :blushing:.

I was told to not shave for a week or so (until the spots went away). After a month or so of shaving without any problems i used proraso again and almost immediately got the same itchy rash.

I'm not sure if I'm sensitive to an ingredient in the cream or if it just dries my skin out too much. It really sucks because i love proraso.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Red spots?

Maybe you apply too much pressure while using your DE razor.
Don't press down. At all.

Also remember to avoid shaving against the grain during the first razor pass, since this is another huge cause of redness and razor burn.

Impetigo? :lol::lol:

Sounds like your face is adjusting to DE shaving, to be honest. Either that, or you may be having a reaction to one of your soaps/creams.

I got one flat red area that's oval under my ear. Other than that they're bumps..

What might cause the bumps?

Also, (though I don't suffer greatly from this) how reduce "normal" spots (zits)?

I get bumps if I try to shave TOO CLOSELY in areas where the beard is very dense, like my chin. If I shave an area over and over again in an attempt to get that perfectly smooth shave, I'll find the bumps within a day or so.

One thing I perhaps should mention is that I shave parts of my face in which there are no hairs (perhaps small soft ones that's barely visible, no REAL beard).. Will that have anything to say?

Top Bottom