What's new

Where can I purchase a DE razor Locally

Hello all, new to the forum.

I am looking to purchase a DE Razor here in Edina, Minnesota. I prefer to get a Merkur. I have been searching google and some department stores with no success. The only thing I am finding is places to buy online and I am a touchy feely shopper.

Any help from people in Minnesota will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Try cigar stores, knife stores, or an Art Of Shaving store if there is one close. You will find a better selection and price online.

That's the worse part of DE shaving. Most gear is only available by mail order. I'm a CD, not an mp3, kind of guy. I like to hold things before I buy. This is probably one reason many of us here have a load of razors we never use. I currently have 6 and I am still looking for my perfect DE.

I would suggest antique stores, they are well picked over but I got mine at a place near me and they had a couple single edge razors and one other DE. They also had a badger brush that I may go back and get sometime.

I would suggest antique stores, they are well picked over but I got mine at a place near me and they had a couple single edge razors and one other DE. They also had a badger brush that I may go back and get sometime.

+1, except that if you want a new Merkur, that's an unlikely place. Also maybe flea markets, yard sales, church rummage sales, etc. Again, you're most likely talking used vintage razors, or possibly some new old stock.

For new, unless there is a specialty shave shop near you, you *might* get lucky with an upscale department store, but I wouldn't count on it. An individual drug store *might* have something like a Lord or a Weishi, but again I wouldn't bet on it. Online shopping will probably be your best bet.

Major Shopping Malls often have cutlery stores which also sell razors.
I hear there's a Great Big Mall up there in Minnesota.

I have the same problem, can't even find blades in my neck of the woods. I've done all my ordering on line and I've been very satisfied.

Any of the big sites are good. I've had excellent service from Classic Shaving, West Coast Shaving, Best Grooming Tools, and really any of the others I've dealt with. I've ordered on a Monday, and had my order by noon Wed. :thumbup1:

Thanks everyone for your advice. I checked all over the Mall of America and all they sell is "The Art of Shaving" with the Mach3 razors, which for me as a black man kills my skin. It's amazing a big mall like this does not carry the old fashioned razors. I mean Nordstroms and Bloomingdales with their high end customers would get sales.

I do have a haberdashery in town that specializes in the old time shaving ways. I am hoping they have something similar to the Merkur. Otherwise, I will purchase online. Was hoping to get it before I left for Mexico. Oh well. Happy to be apart of B&B.

Eureka!! I found a place in town that sells DE razors. Not sure what the brand is, there is no logo. It appears to be a Parker but may be a Merkur that I haven't seen. Cost $40. Also picked up some Personna blades.

The razor came with Dorco blades. Never heard of these. Any ideas?

The place is called Heimie's Haberdashery in St Paul, MN. They also sell Straight razors. The place is great for the classics. It's where I got my tuxedo for my wedding.

Eureka!! I found a place in town that sells DE razors. Not sure what the brand is, there is no logo. It appears to be a Parker but may be a Merkur that I haven't seen. Cost $40. Also picked up some Personna blades.

The razor came with Dorco blades. Never heard of these. Any ideas?

The place is called Heimie's Haberdashery in St Paul, MN. They also sell Straight razors. The place is great for the classics. It's where I got my tuxedo for my wedding.

yep, heimie's haberdashery is known amongst us Minnesotans as a purveyor of fine shaving goods. I've never been there personally but it looks like a great place to shop.

with that said, you're still better off ordering online for your shaving needs as shaving supply stores in Minnesota are few and far between. westcoastshaving.com is a well known online retailer that sells everything from Merkur razors to blade sampler packs and soaps/creams. I ordered my Merkur 33c from WCS and his prices are great. but then I discovered vintage gillettes and haven't purchased anything 'new' since.

If you're striking out on Merkurs at local stores and want to do touchy-feely, check out vintage Gillettes at antique stores and estate sales.

There are estate sale hunters that re-sell on eBay, and I have at least one razor that was purchased from one of them. An O-2(1969) Super Adjustable has become my daily shaver. With a little cleaning and polishing, it's in near-new condition.

Top Bottom