What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89l vs Merkur fixed heads

A little earlier i posted a link about "Edwin Jagger DE89L vs Gillette Super Speed - 1960's". I got some great advice, but now I have a different question. How does the EJ DE89L compare with a Merkur HD? Does it shave in the same way. I found that Merkur closed combs just didnt work on my face. I have read that it shaves like a Gillette tech. Is this true?

I am no expert like a lot of guys here but i have a Merkur 38C barberpole also and IMHO the Jagger DE89L is so much smoother. Maybe some one else can enlighten you on the technical reasons but that baby is one smooth shaver.....:001_smile If you try it and dont like it i might buy it off you and if not me i think it would sell in a heart beat....

so does anyone know what makes the EJ so much smoother? What is it about the head geometry? The angle of the blade looks so similar to Merkur heads

I can't give you a technical explanation, I can only vouch for the fact that the DE89L is indeed a smoother shaver than the HD. I sold my HD within days of getting my 89L.
Maybe the weight and balance have something to do with it. Maybe it's all psychological because of the superior fit and finish of the EJ. Maybe it's just my technique, but I found the 89L to just be so much more comfortable, despite my impression that it's a little more aggressive than the HD.

For example, I got a nearly irritation free BBS the other day when I was in a rush, on 2 passes (WTG, AGT) and a light touch up. I was using a Personna on it's 2nd use and face lathering with a PC stick after 4, yes 4, days of growth. And for me, 4 days is a lot of hair. I don't think I could have pulled that off with the HD, even using Feathers, without at least 3 passes and moderate burn.

Don't over-think it. Get one. They don't show up too often on the B/S/T and there's a good reason for that I think.

The EJ DE89L has reduced all my other razors to the status of novelties and curiosities, cured (mostly) my RAD, and made me an evangelist.

The court is still out for me.

Yes, the 89L shaves gently and beautifully; however I fancy my Merkurs shave more closely at first pass.

At the moment Merkur (23C, 38C) are instruments of choice, but you won't see my 89L on BST anytime soon, either.

Top Bottom