What's new

TJ Maxx/Marshalls Data Breached

Yes, this is very interesting. I work in the PCI (payment card industry) compliance space and our company's job is to get retailers and eCommerce merchants to go through the PCI certification process to protect consumers out there who fork over their debit or credit cards for payment purposes. TJX is not a customer of my company's, however it should be noted that if they went through PCI certification, the auditor will be in a world of hurt if they overlooked some vulnerability that should have been remediated. :001_tt1:

Unless you go to a cash-only mode of operation you will be a victim of these thefts sooner or later.

Buy identity theft insurance.

The optimistic side of me says that the positives to being one of the victims of this is that the companys usually compensate you buy giving you a free year of credit monitoring. I'm on my third year straight!

Yes, this is very interesting. I work in the PCI (payment card industry) compliance space and our company's job is to get retailers and eCommerce merchants to go through the PCI certification process to protect consumers out there who fork over their debit or credit cards for payment purposes. TJX is not a customer of my company's, however it should be noted that if they went through PCI certification, the auditor will be in a world of hurt if they overlooked some vulnerability that should have been remediated. :001_tt1:

The article sounds like an opportunity for a sales call from your company...

Man, so someone might now have my identity information, CC #'s, etc? Even worse, they may know that I have 4 unopened jars of C&E SAO at my house. I better get them into my safe deposit box ASAP!

I used to get freaked out when I received these notices. After 4 in the last 12 months without any damage (yet, knock on wood), I've relaxed a bit. What can you do? Check your credit card statements (fortunately I'm not liable for a dime of any fraudulent activity) and check your credit report 3x a year (by law you can do this for free, staggering your requests from each of the 3 credit reporting agencies). Like FriscoSoxFan said, if you use credit cards, your account number is probably going to get compromised sooner or later. Hopefully, when the financial liability gets to be enough of a problem, the CC companies and the merchants will come up with a more secure way of processing and storing transactions.

I agree with the above comments. While this is certainly annoying, it's not completely unexpected these days. And, while it will in the short term this will require some additional checking (aka actually looking at your statement), in the long term, it will probably not mean anything. Also, most of you will not be responsible for any fraudulent charges placed on your cards. It will just be another one of those headaches of life to be dealt with. So, break out your brush, lather on some cream, and relax :shaving:

Top Bottom