What's new

old-type Gillette - handle crack

My NOS Gillette old-type has a small crack in the handle near the head. When I go to tighten the head, the "nose" spins in the handle. Any way to fix this? For now I just tighten the last bit by grabbing the nose instead of the handle. Not really a big deal. Is there a risk of the crack getting worse over time? I really like the razor and want to make sure it stays around for years to come.

Ben

You can put epoxy in the handle and clamp till set. I have done that with an old type handle that was cracked all the way down. It aint the prettiest but it tightens on the head and shaves just fine. Pics?

My NOS Gillette old-type has a small crack in the handle near the head. When I go to tighten the head, the "nose" spins in the handle. Any way to fix this? For now I just tighten the last bit by grabbing the nose instead of the handle. Not really a big deal. Is there a risk of the crack getting worse over time? I really like the razor and want to make sure it stays around for years to come.

Ben

Epoxy is the common approach and works well.

What's the best way to apply? Put epoxy in the inside and then press the nose back in?

I had the same trouble with a Gillette New razor that was an e-Bay purchase. It was in very good condition except for a long crack in the handle tube that would cause the head and attached post to constantly separate during use. I found a short bolt that would run the length of the handle and had the same thread as the razor's head post. While the hole in the post was drilled completely through by the manufacturer, it was only tapped on the side that accepted the razor head. So I tapped the the other side and threaded in the bolt. Filling the handle about 1/4 with epoxy, I inserted the head post with the attached bolt into the handle tube and let the epoxy harden for a couple of days, taking care to first remove any excess epoxy that had seeped through the crack. Result: Excellent! While I've definitely compromised the resale value of the razor as it is no longer "original," I now have a razor that performs as it was designed, and has become one of my favorite shavers. I doubt very much that I would ever sell it.

I had the same problem. I scraped out the crack really well and silver soldered it. The silver solder fixed the nose in place and filled the crack. The process also anealed the handle so I do not think it will crack any further.

Before....

proxy.php
[/IMG]

After....Soldered and re-plated.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Buddydog replated one my Gillette NEWs and also fixed the crack with silver solder.

I think I can see it, maybe, sort of, if I look very close at the textured portion of the handle where it was harder to hide the crack. Maybe.

In other words, it looks new. (no pun intended)

They are great shaving razors, and the infamous crack helps keep the prices down. Looks like a lot of members have come up with creative ways to keep them in service.

Top Bottom