What's new

Head Shaving

Got my DE set up last week, today I tried my first head shave. It went well. My grand plan is to use the DE on my head and a straight blade on my face. Anyone else shave their head with a DE?

I know several guys here at B&B that shave their heads with DE. I find it just as easy to shave my head with whatever I shave my face with. However, I don't use a straight at all...I can't imagine shaving my head with a straight!

How long did it take you to get your technique down? I would be most nervous about the back. any tips you could give someone who wanted to try this?

ive shaved my head with a straight; way too scary

shaved with a DE; still do from time to time; mostly when it has grown out and I really need to mow down the hair

and fushion

but the best and quickest way to shave your head; at least in my experience is with HeadBlade.

i hate that it lasts only as long as a cartridge razor does; does not hold off the hair as long as a DE does; but man, does it give a great BBS shave

How long did it take you to get your technique down? I would be most nervous about the back. any tips you could give someone who wanted to try this?

I taught myself to shave my face with three passes before I attempted my head. I went slowly at first, managed to give myself a nasty cut on the back of my head on the first shave, then went even slower on the second shave and probably thought I'd got the hang of it after 5, or 6 shaves. Hard to say regarding tips as the top and sides are relatively easy, it's the back of the head that's tricky. Some rig up two mirrors so they can do it that way, but I just learned to do it by touch and in actual fact I close my eyes while doing the back of my head as I found that seeing my reflection in the bathroom mirror was throwing me off a little. I just do a single ATG pass on my head as the skin on my skull seems to be a bit less sensitive to the skin on my face and doesn't suffer from any kind of irritation.

Some rig up two mirrors so they can do it that way, but I just learned to do it by touch and in actual fact I close my eyes while doing the back of my head as I found that seeing my reflection in the bathroom mirror was throwing me off a little. I just do a single ATG pass on my head as the skin on my skull seems to be a bit less sensitive to the skin on my face and doesn't suffer from any kind of irritation.

I have tougher skin on my scalp as well but I still deal with redness and bumps just not burning or pain really. I also tend to shave by touch with my DE. as the reflection is confusing on the back. Still have to do one WTG and one ATG at this point and sometimes 2 WTG and 1 ATG.

Absolutely. In fact I use a DE on my head and a straight on my face just as you are planning.

I have used a fat boy, 1956 flair tip, 2 different Schick injectors and a GEM Junior to shave my head with. While they all work I can get it done much quicker with my Personna Magnum M5. I will never use anything but a DE or SE on my face again, but I look at the head shave as just a chore to be done with the quickest and most efficient tool available. Of course YMMV.

I use a DE on my head and face. One day I'm going to spend the money on a straight and use it on my face. It was easier to shave the back of my head with my eyes closed at first, but now I can just ignore the reflection for a bit. If you haven't already join the group in my sig.

There are some other threads re: headshaving with a DE.
Not hard at all, a DE doesn't get clogged up like a cartridge does.

Prep as you would with your beard & use any DE you want.
Go slow, I use a little longer strokes then on my face.
And maybe most important, ignore the mirror, go by feel.
Your scalp will thank you!

Thanks all. No mirror is they way for me. It is very time consuming at this point, still far beter qaulity than my wife's Gellete.

I just started shaving with a DE this week. I'm having two big challenges right now that should be dealt with by practice.

1) The occipital ridge, or where your skull meets your spine. It's like the jawline the back of my head never knew it had.

2) Overshaving the crown. I need to adjust my pass paths to make sure I don't go over it a hundred times during the shave. That was fine with my Mach3, but it's leaving the skin on the top a bit sensitive with my DE (and that's with a non-aggressive weishi blade).

Best of luck :)

I just started shaving with a DE this week. I'm having two big challenges right now that should be dealt with by practice.

1) The occipital ridge, or where your skull meets your spine. It's like the jawline the back of my head never knew it had.

2) Overshaving the crown. I need to adjust my pass paths to make sure I don't go over it a hundred times during the shave. That was fine with my Mach3, but it's leaving the skin on the top a bit sensitive with my DE (and that's with a non-aggressive weishi blade).

Best of luck :)

1. I place the index finger of my left hand on the "bump" and pull towards the top of my head. This pulls the hair that is hidden in the little valley out so they are easier to shave cleanly.

2.Try shaving from left to right or right to left instead of front to back or back to front.

Thanks HoosierTrooper. I'm going to let my skin rest for a day or two and give that a shot. I'll spend that time researching unscented aftershaves or recipies that I can apply liberally to a clean nugget. Hopefully OP will find that helpful too.

Oddly enough, I get an BBS shave on my head with a Gillette Sensor 3 disposable (better than the shaves I get with Mach 3's, Quattros etc...). I've been shaving my head since I was 19 (nearly 33 now) and the only thing that makes me want to try the DE is that I need to go about three days minimum before I can shave with any disposable/cartridge razor to be sure that there's no razor burn. I'm hoping that I could reduce that with a DE.

I've been using a DE on my face since Christmas and it's going really well, for the first time ever I can get my face just about as smooth as my head. The upside to this is that the hair on both my face and head are more in sync now as far as growth rates. When I was using the Gillette Sensor 3 on my face as well, the was was nowhere near as close, so I was noticeably stubbled on my face but my head didn't have enough hair to shave without introducing razor burn.

I hope to get the DE technique down so that I can go daily (or near BBS every other day). I've been shaving twice per week with a disposable for about 5 years, my skin just seemed to get more sensitive (and my bear got tougher) as the years wore on.

Anyway, I'm going to work up to trying the head with my DE, I just want to get my face down first. I figure I can run my current DE on my face and get a new one for the head, that way I can keep different blades in each since my head and face seem to call for different hardware.

Top Bottom