What's new

Any thoughts on these?

Ok, tis a new year, trying to broaden my horizons...

Ordered some new frag's/samples based on Basenotes reviews...

Blindly ordered YSL M7, 1.6oz..this is a blind purchase, hopefully I like it.

Ordered the following samples:

-Dior Homme, Dior
-Kouros by YSL; I had this many years ago and loved it, although the wife disliked it - so much so, that I wound up giving it to my Father. Since, I've come to realize that my lovely Wife doesn't like any cologne I have LOL ...Anyway, people seem to be polarized in the love it or hate it camps with this one. I'm in the former.
-Rive Guache by YSL
-Gucci Envy
-Burberry London
-A(ngel) Men by Thierry Mugler.

I have a pretty good assortment of samples, most noteworth:
-CdG Avignon Incense - Love it, but it doesn't last long on me. Don't know if I'd be brave enough to wear it out in public, LOL.
-Messe de Minuit by Etro. I really dig this stuff - very similar to Avignon Incense, but a lot less costly, and it lasts a lot longer on me. But again, a tough one to pull off in public.

I'm hoping that some of these samples may be worthy of purchasing...Any thoughts or comments from my discerning, shaving bretheren? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Last edited:
Nice selection...I've tried a or worn some.

Dior Homme - A so called "cutting edge" men's frag. Prominent iris.
The opening notes are odd but interesting. Smells exactly like the inside of "mom's purse" - lipstick, makeup, powder - for about 30 minutes. But it settles into something nicer and wearable. I have some longevity issues with it. Kind of lighter scent. But worth sampling. Very unique.

Kouros- I just threw in the towel and made a trade for a bottle. I've sampled a couple of times and gotten over the initial civet-heavy blast. It's pretty daring stuff that's been around 30 years and still sells well. You seem to already know the drill on it's rep. Careful where you wear it.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme- A recent discovery for me. Fantastic, underrated stuff. It's a great scent for the B&B crowd. A bit of a spicy Barbasol scent- which makes it sound a bit more ordinary than it is. A new favorite of mine. Really solid stuff. Won't **** off anybody at work and women tend to like it too.

Angel- arrrrghh. Like Kouros, can be very polarizing. It may work really well on you. I nearly got stoned by co-workers last time I wore it. Worth a sample. Your wife may love it a lot on you. But be careful in office/work. Monstrous sillage and longevity for most people. I'm not grandpa-ish, but I think it's a bit of younger man's scent.

M7 is highly regarded. I gave it only a quick sniff, but it seemed nice, masculine. It's being lauded at Basenotes as the scent that introduced oud to western perfumes. The YSL line is pretty consistently good stuff.

Haven't tried Envy or London.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the info...I'm still fairly new to this fragrance thing..These seem to be some of the more popular fragrances on Basenotes, so I figured I'd give them a try. Hopefully some of these will convince me to purchase the real thing...

I'm always open to other suggestions, too. Thanks again.

Steve

Hi, thanks for the info...I'm still fairly new to this fragrance thing..These seem to be some of the more popular fragrances on Basenotes, so I figured I'd give them a try. Hopefully some of these will convince me to purchase the real thing...

I'm always open to other suggestions, too. Thanks again.

Steve

Hard to tell what your tastes are yet...but another jewel I discovered from Basenotes buddies that knocks me out and I'm crowing about is Versace L'Homme. It's a low key version of an 80s power frag. Not too pricey. Watch the name though- Versace has a lot with similar names. It's L'Homme. I perceive many in here may get "prickly" at the name "Versace." But this is unlike anything else from that house. It came out originally in 1984. Read up on it at Basenotes.

Caraceni 1913 another cool one with a cult following here and in BN. Pretty elegant stuff. Not necessarily formal, but "dressy."

Dior Homme and Angel can be a bit challenging to wear. The Basenotes crowd can be a bit daring...fragrance as "art" if you will.

I hip hop between here and BN a bit and I'm morphing into more of a power frag guy. Anteus. GRRRRRRRR

Last edited:
Ok, I ordered Rive Gauche, 4.2 oz..I loves the stuff..to me, this is what men are supposed to smell like...doesn't seem to last very long on me..very good, though.

Angel - definitely not for me...Really does smell like some kind of expensive designer coffee...

London - I like it...kind of a fresh, dare I say floral? I'm not sure how to explain it...Didn't last too long on me, though.

Envy - Good, not sure if I'd purchase it, but I'll definitely entertain the idea.

M7 - wound up selling in the B&B classifieds...wasn't for me.

I do like Kouros, but I understand why some hate it...I almost detected a hint of B.O. in it after a while..Still, I like it.

Steve

Nice selection...I've tried a or worn some.
Rive Gauche Pour Homme- A recent discovery for me. Fantastic, underrated stuff. It's a great scent for the B&B crowd. A bit of a spicy Barbasol scent- which makes it sound a bit more ordinary than it is. A new favorite of mine. Really solid stuff. Won't **** off anybody at work and women tend to like it too.

Angel- arrrrghh. Like Kouros, can be very polarizing. It may work really well on you. I nearly got stoned by co-workers last time I wore it. Worth a sample. Your wife may love it a lot on you. But be careful in office/work. Monstrous sillage and longevity for most people. I'm not grandpa-ish, but I think it's a bit of younger man's scent.

Envy or London.

Keep us posted.

Sorry to hear about the longevity issue with RGPH...you might try to apply a bit more. It's a pretty inoffensive scent.

Yeah, Angel is not for everybody. It really chokes and annoys some people when you wear it.

Funny with Kouros...lots of people pick up different foul smells. For me the first 20 minutes or so a bit like I wet my pants. I've read a lot of funny anecdotes about people wearing Kouros. One guy believes his girlfriends cats always bite him when he wears it. Animals kind of freaked out by civet and castoreum I believe.

One guy believes his girlfriends cats always bite him when he wears it. Animals kind of freaked out by civet and castoreum I believe.
My cat doesn't bite me when I wear scents with a animalistic note, but she *does* take notice and will act like she wants to bury my hand. Pretty entertaining to watch.

Top Bottom