What's new

Post your New Year's Shaving Resolutions!

Mine is to 'thin the heard'. I'm going to use up my excess creams and A/S's, and maybe sell off some DE's. I've finally hit my stride with a '46 SS, CE brush, Persona blades, various Bay Rum's and (don't laugh) Williams soap.

Mine is to avoid heavily scented soaps and creams altogether. Not all scents irritate my skin, but most of them do. My overall scent for the day is determined primarily by my choice of cologne, anyway. It sucks, because I love great smells, but I know my face will thank me for it.

-I'll finally take the Straight Razor plunge
-Once a few other things are taken care of I will start/finish my Genuine Horn Plisson hunt

• Thin out the soap, razor, blade and brush herd.
  • Narrow down and finalize the scent wardrobe.
  • Thin out the last of the scent AD excess.

I suppose mine should be to not buy any more DE or SE blades. By my count I have enough for the next 15 years of shaves. Seriously.

I've decided that life is too short to use anything but the very best for my shaves. That doesn't necessarily mean I will only use the most expensive items (although I will do that, too), but I am going to make a concerted effort to use only the products that really ring my bell.

For starters, today I chucked out the following after shaves: Mennen Skin Bracer (a staple in my medicine cabinet for 30 years, but now only a shadow of its former greatness), Pinaud Clubman (it smells like urine to me -- I don't care if it's a classic), Gillette Cool Wave (ecchhh) and Bigelow Blue Elixir (it smells like laudry detergent and it makes my upper lip sweat).* Of course, that hardly made a dent in my overflowing shave den, but you get the point. There are so many truly top shelf products (and I have been working hard enough and long enough and I am fortunate enough that cost does not have to be the determining factor -- one way or the other), there is no reason not to set myself up for a primo, luxury shave every single day. That doesn't mean I'm throwing out my Proraso or my Aqua Velva or even my Gillette After Shave Gel -- they are among the several products that make me feel good even though they are not strictly "high end."

So, I guess my resolution is to make the effort to use only products that will help me make the most out of every shave, every day, and to get rid of the ones that don't.

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you, my friends ... Enjoy (we deserve it)!! :001_smile

*NOTE: None of these were worth PIFing, or I would happily have done so, so in the trash they went.

Last edited:
  • Try at least one product from every artisan soaper I've found
  • Try the rest of the fragrances on my list
  • Try the couple DE/SE razors I've got left on my list
  • Acquire display versions of the rest of the DE razors on my want list
  • Successfully hone a straight
  • Successfully shave with a straight (where successfully = "no blood or irritation and at least SAS")
  • Clear out the rest of what hasn't worked for me
  • Acquire in full size what samples made the final cut
  • Build a cabinet for my den
  • Become a contributor

I figure that's enough for one year...:tongue_sm

I've decided that life is too short to use anything but the very best for my shaves. That doesn't necessarily mean I will only use the most expensive items (although I will do that, too), but I am going to make a concerted effort to use only the products that really ring my bell.

Welcome to the club, Neil! I made this decision about 6 months ago myself. I pitched out all of the crap and set aside all of the PIF worthy items. TSWebster and I are going to go in together and put together several starter kits PIFs in the coming months. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom