What's new

Size of Double Edge Safety Razor Head and Shaving Neck Area

I noticed that when i shave my neck wlth a Small Size Double Edge Safety Razor Head it is much more comfortable to shave than wlth a Larger Size Safety Razor Head. Is this so and if it is, Why? Also, can you name some Double Edge Safety Razors that have Small Size Heads and that are comfortable to shave with? elkabon

I have no idea why this might be so. The size of a DE head is pretty much set by the width of a DE blade. And the length of the head shouldn't make any difference at all, but if it really makes a difference then the non-TTO razors seem to have the shortest heads, because they don't have the elevators on the sides of the blade to raise the doors.

If you really want a small shave head then an Injector is an even better bet.

If you are just looking for a DE razor with a small head, it is kind of hard to beat the Gillette Techs - they are pretty tiny and a great shaving razor.

Dennis

I have found the Gillette 20's and 30's open comb models to have a thin head, thin but weighty handle, and the combs allow you to get close without too much of a chance for nicks. They really allow you to see what you are doing. I find them very effective on the upper lip and chin. The "Goodwill" razors (called that because it was given away, and because it said "goodwill" on the box it came in) is a good choice, and is in my rotation, along with a Merkur Vision, Merkur Slant, and a 40's SS. They all have their good points but the open comb is absolutely the most maneuverable and nimble. Properly used, the Vision can give the closest shave, but also I think has a high chance of nicking you despite good technique. The best all round shave, including factoring in overall size of razor and head size, in my opinion, is the Slant. The 40's SS is touted above the later Super speeds in my opinion because it is slightly heavier, and because its head is slightly more compact.

FWIW, YMMV.

Vin

Top Bottom