Thread: Just got my first DE... Parker 96R

Default Just got my first DE... Parker 96R

My wife surprised me this X-mas with a Parker 96R. I have never used a DE before, but now I am hooked! I can't believe I made it this long with the cartridge models, I was missing out.

The store she bought it at recommended Feather blades, so she got me a pack. I have been shaving every day since, and (knock on wood) haven't nicked myself yet.

I was a little scared going into it, but found that I picked up the angle pretty quick, and was able to do a decent job on the first shave.

So today I got a cheap brush and several soaps to try out. Does anyone have any recommendations on shaving creams?

And I have been doing great with Feather blades, should I stick to what works? Or is there a better blade out there? I do not have a thick beard, if that has anything to do with it....

It's great to find a website like this one, and I look forward to bugging all of you with plenty of questions...

Welcome to B&B.

I would recommend Taylor of Old Bond Street or Proraso/C.O. Bigelow.
    Phil

Congrats!!!!!!! Now you need to expand your collection!!!
    Venom

"I have spent ninety percent of my money on women and razors. The other ten percent I wasted."

Congrats and welcome!

May I ask what soaps you are trying out? I am looking for some myself.

You might have hit a Grand Slam on the feathers Hard to beat them for sharpness. As far as creams that is kind of a personal choice. My fav's are Aqua di parma, along with Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet and there is always the stand by Proraso. That is just my two cents i am sure you will get lots of suggestions shortly here.
    Good luck in your search.
    Curtis

Congratulations and welcome to the site. It sounds like you are off to a great start. And feather blades too boot! I would stick with the same setup for at least several weeks. Practice your technique (blade angle) and get your prep work down. Then, if the spirit moves you, experiment. Purchase a blade sample pack (westcoastshaving) and try a different blade. You might find that there is another blade that works as well if not better than feathers. But understand, blades like soaps and creams are a personal choice. What works well for one individual does not work for well for another.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    Mark[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT] :c9:

I love my 96r it's a nice shaver welcome to B&B

Congrats! Welcome to the group!
    John

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Welcome to B&B.

I would recommend Taylor of Old Bond Street or Proraso/C.O. Bigelow.
    +1 on those two creams. Those are very well reputed ones around here and the two best I've tried.

As far as blades go, I am 100% sold on Feathers. They are the sharpest blades I've found, and consistently so. If you want to try some others (yes, I fully understand AD's and the need to see for yourself ) look to Red Pack Personnas, Gillette 7 O'clock, and perhaps Astra or Derby. www.westcoastshaving.com has some great sampler packs that would be worth looking into, but you won't find anything as sharp as those Feathers.
    -Adam

Images

Oh yeah, Welcome to B&B!
    -Adam

Welcome to B&B !!
    There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of those. - Casey Stengel