What's new

Witch Hazel w/ Alcohol

I have read many times that, as far as bang-for-buck at least, witch hazel for 2 bucks in a drug store is the best. (Especially if one is prone to the occasional acne break out)

On the other hand, alcohol is said to dry out ones face.

Unfortunately the only witch hazel that I have found is at Walmart and contains 86% witch hazel and 14% alcohol!!!!

Is this a low enough alcohol content that it doesn't matter? Are there better, more pure version of witch hazel out there?

Also. What goes first, after shave balm or witch hazel???

Thanks
Brookston

14% is a pretty low alc content. I have acne prone skin and use a treatment that dries out my face, so I mostly stick to alc-free witch hazel from Thayers. I'm not aware of any brands of alc-free witch hazel, but they probably exist somewhere. I do keep the drugstore stuff around because sometimes I'm in the mood for it. If you're worried about the drying effect, you can always apply it with wet hands to a wet face, or use a small amount on a cotton ball/pad. I would definitely put on the witch BEFORE the aftershave balm.

That is the classic Witch Hazel formula. It shouldn't dry out your face. If you are concerned, Thayer's makes witch hazel with less or no alcohol.

That is the classic Witch Hazel formula. It shouldn't dry out your face. If you are concerned, Thayer's makes witch hazel with less or no alcohol.

Except that Thayer's stuff is not really witch hazel...

If there is no alcohol in it, it is not real witch hazel.

:thumbsup: 14% is the traditional WH formula. Thayer's makes it with a little less (astringent), or virtually none at all. I always make sure to get the astringent Thayer's (with alcohol).

Unfortunately the only witch hazel that I have found is at Walmart and contains 86% witch hazel and 14% alcohol!!!!

Is this a low enough alcohol content that it doesn't matter? Are there better, more pure version of witch hazel out there?

Also. What goes first, after shave balm or witch hazel???

Thanks
Brookston

I have a sensitive skin and my skin takes the "standard" WH with 14% alcohol without problems. Thayers also has one with no alcohol, I tried both (Humphreys with 14% and Thayers with 0%) and did not really notice any difference, apart from the price that is ;) Balms come after the WH, I use Jasons Aloe Vera Gel as a "balm".

Just last week I picked up the stuff you are talking about from Walmart with the 14% alcohol. I like it so far and it is not very drying at all. Worth trying for 2 bucks

my wife bought me some witch hazel in a spray bottle and that is also 14% alcohol. good to know i have the real stuff. it is amazing as an aftershave.

I use Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel with alcohol - here's the ingredient list:
Thayers Proprietary Witch Hazel, Lemongrass, Orange Peel, Blackberry, Chamomile, Nettle and Grapefruit extracts in a purified water base, natural grain alcohol as a preservative (10%) and an Emulsified All-Natural Fresh Lemon Fragrance.
I love using Thayers Superhazel, but it has cloves - almost a Bay Rum scent - in it and has been banned from the house:
Thayers Proprietary Witch Hazel, Peppermint, Camphor, Calendula, Eucalyptus, Clove, Aloe Vera, and natural grain alcohol as a preservative (20%).

Top Bottom