What's new

Open Comb- short or long?

I started using a Deluxe Bull Mastiff (DBM) from Bob's Razors a couple weeks ago and it has been quite a shaving revelation for me. I am shopping for vintage New heads to try on my DBM handle. I am hoping to get some feed back form fellow members who have tried various vintage heads: New, New Improved, Old....(short and long comb teeth) and might have input on their findings. I thought I read that the short comb is considered more aggressive than the long but my early experience and some other information I found point the other way.

The razor came with a Goodwill new long tooth open comb head. As much as I love the razor I have had some mixed results, in term of facial irritation, which may relate to my fiddling with the Goodwill head. In all fairness, I should say, part of the issue has been technique. I have found that the open comb on a Bull Mastiff handle needs a lighter touch than less "aggressive" tools.

Still I find that the Goodwill head parts do not have a way to align themselves until a blade is added. I also find that one can tighten the blade down without getting everything aligned properly. I just got a New short comb razor and tried the head on the DBM. I believe I got my best over all shave yet with it. I bought another Bull Mastiff on the Trade Forum that has a regular New head so I will be able to report back on it soon. I would love to hear from Improved New users and users of modern open combs (Merkur, Muhle R41..) too.

Last edited:
I have an Old, Improved, and New...all off them require some manual blade adjusting....especially the Old...I can not speak for the Merkurs.

Good point Pike.

I'm sure there is some play in most of these old razors. Although I have not used an Old yet I imagine some of the Goodwills have the most play. I have seen at least two different versions of the new both made with at least some left over parts and, I think, less care for exact fit. I'm sure there is a learning curve on getting the blade seated perfectly with each head and I am new to them all.

So maybe there are two major factors here, the relative aggressiveness of the head design and how easy it is to get the blade clamped in the head incorrectly.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use a British NEW (long) head. No adjustments... I would think that the NEW (USA) would be the same, specially if you have a Gillette Tech cap with the open comb...

I use a British NEW (long) head. No adjustments... I would think that the NEW (USA) would be the same, specially if you have a Gillette Tech cap with the open comb...

I've had several NEWs, New Improveds, Old Styles and the Merkur copies. ALL of the three-pin razors I've used (including the new Merkurs) have required careful blade installation to ensure proper alignment. The NEWs and Techs, with their corner alignment tabs all install perfectly without any special attention.

Top Bottom