What's new

What are you suppose to carry?

The topic of wallets got me to think on this one. Many of you had some great ideas on slim wallets, durable wallets, functional wallets.

There are no hard and fast rules, just what do you carry in yours?

Obviously your need your driver's license. Medical Insurance card? Credit Cards? Cash....Membership cards ?

What if you have a boat load of store cards? How do you carry them? or should you?

I love the minimal idea, but I was just wondering what some of you gents put in one?

Cash in my back pocket and a credit card if I'm going to need it. Nowt else. No need for it. Never owned a wallet though I do have a small coin purse to stop the cash falling out of my pocket when I sit down.

Do you have to carry a driver's licence over there?

Gareth

I try and carry a minimum of stuff in my wallet. Cash, drivers license, ATM card, 2 credit cards, Medicare card and a couple of business cards. I've got quite a few store loyalty cards that I carry in a seperate card wallet in my briefcase.

Wallet with my ID, Medical insurance, credit card and money,
Cellphone, Mp3 player with headphones, house keys, and depending on the occasion, lighter ( i quit smoking 2 years ago, but depending on the situation, its usfull to have)

Wallet: Drivers License, Debit Card; Med Insurance, VFW & American Legion cards. No Cash. I like to keep that in a pocket.

I do like to carry a Buck knife & LED flashlight. It surprising how often a flashlight comes in handy during the day.

Do you have to carry a driver's licence over there?

Gareth

It is not required to carry a driver's license at all times. It is required to have when you are driving, you can be ticketed for not having it if you are stopped by the police. Otherwise, it serves as your official ID when it is requested under certain circumstances, such as at the airport security checkpoint.

I have to go through my wallet periodically because stuff tends to accumulate in it.

I carry a front pocket wallet with Driver's license, cash, 1 credit card, and a couple of business cards.

Another wallet stored in the car with Medical Insurance, store cards, gym membership, etc., all the junk I need only occasionally.

I carry a “slim” Mulholland brothers brown pebble wallet with a Drivers License, auto insurance card, ATM card, 2 credit cards and health insurance card in my right front pocket. For cash, I use a magnetic money clip in the right front pocket. In my left pocket Mulholland brothers Key Case with two inside pockets for receipts. These slits come in handy for store credit cards if I’m going shopping. If I’m on foot or using public transportation then anything else, (flashlight, knife, thermal cup, book, small umbrella…etc), is usually in a Klein Brothers tool bag that I use as a “Man” bag. Using this canvas tool bag with a shoulder strap is a great way to carry bulky items.

Obviously your need your driver's license. Medical Insurance card? Credit Cards? Cash....Membership cards ?

What if you have a boat load of store cards? How do you carry them? or should you?

• Driver's license
  • Insurance card
  • Emergency contact info
  • Folding money
  • AAA card
  • National Parks pass
  • A couple of my spare business cards
  • One credit card
  • CostCo ID
I don't keep anything else in there and go through it on a regular basis to see if I can remove anymore.

It is not required to carry a driver's license at all times. It is required to have when you are driving, you can be ticketed for not having it if you are stopped by the police. Otherwise, it serves as your official ID when it is requested under certain circumstances, such as at the airport security checkpoint.

That explains everyone having their driving licence with them. We don't have to have to licence with us here in the UK but can be given a note by the police to produce it at a police station if we are stopped.

Gareth

I unfortunately have to carry quite a bit of stuff in my wallet. I like the idea of a slim wallet (and used to use one), but I'm not sure I can really drop too much of this:

Driver's license
Non Drivers license/CCW Permit
3 debit/atm cards (personal, joint acct. w/ wife, and business account)
1 credit card
health insurance card
sam's card (for gas and groceries)
bar card (ID as attorney, lets me get into the courthouse without giving up cell phone, etc.)
and 4 or 5 business cards to hand out in unexpected situations (I have a separate card holder for networking events and the like)
and of course any cash I have

I'm not in the George Costanza category, but I'm no minimalist. In addition to cash, my wallet carries 4 or 5 credit cards, medical insurance card, bank card, drivers license, attorney ID (for entering the court house), leisure pass (for entering Nassau County Parks), some business cards (mine and others), and a few photographs of my wife and kids. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't particularly oversized. I keep it in my front pants pocket, and it does not get in my way.

I have an everyday wallet to carry:

Drivers License/ID
Cash
Credit cards
ATM card
Medical insurance card
Chicago transit card
Corporate card
Office ID/electronic key
My Local Liquor Store member card

I also use a slim 'money clip' that holds several cards on the weekends or when I'm going out... I only carry the top 5 in the list above.

What, pray tell, is a 'man bag'? :huh:

aka shoulder bag, messenger bag, courrier bag.
This is mine, from Victorinox

proxy.php

I usually carry a Perry Ellis front pocket wallet or a SwissGear front pocket wallet with the following items:
  • Driver's license
  • ATM/debit card
  • Library card
  • Insurance card
  • Pharmacy card (sometimes, not every day)
  • Monthly bus pass
  • Cash (optional as I sometimes carry it in my other front pocket)
Very comfortable and way better than the thick bifold or trifold wallet I used to carry.

Last edited:
In my wallet I carry cash (when I have any :D ), my debit card, REI and Gamestop membership cards and that's it. I have not had a driver's license for 4 years and really have no interest in plan on changing that. I use my passport for identification purposes, though I have been toying with getting a simple sheriff's card instead.

I carry nothing but a $20 bill, my driver's license, my university ID, and my one credit card. I find membership cards and the like useless to carry around, because 99% of the time the store can just look you up if you give them your phone number.

Top Bottom