What's new

Time to change from 35mm -- suggestions please

What would you guys suggest I look at if I want to totally leave the world of 35mm and move to digi? My current list of equipment is:

Nikon F3-HP
+ MD-4 (forgive me if I get the model numbers wrong) motordrive
+ SB-35 hammerhead flash
Nikon F-301 (N2000 in the US)
3x Nikkor AI-S lenses:
20mm f2.8
35-70mm f3.3-4.5
105mm f3.5 (I think)
Canon Ixus APS camera
Canon Digital Ixus camera (5MP, 1MB card)

I do love the robustness of the F3 setup, it's 3.5kg/7lb and I was nearly mugged for it in NYC (I went out of character, took a step closer to the guy, looked him in the eyes and said 'you can have my camera, in your effin face, now p**s off.') I must have been crazy. I love its mechanical sturdiness. The instant click when I squeeze.

I suppose I should ebay the bodies and get a Nikon Digital body. Do they accept the old AI-S lenses? What functionality do the new lenses offer that the AI-S won't? What is a good amateur Nikon digi-body to buy considering how much I love my F3?

Cheers,

Simon.

What would you guys suggest I look at if I want to totally leave the world of 35mm and move to digi? My current list of equipment is:

Nikon F3-HP
+ SB-35 hammerhead flash
3x Nikkor AI-S lenses:
20mm f2.8
35-70mm f3.3-4.5
105mm f3.5 (I think)
Canon Ixus APS camera

I do love the robustness of the F3 setup, it's 3.5kg/7lb and I was nearly mugged for it in NYC (I went out of character, took a step closer to the guy, looked him in the eyes and said 'you can have my camera, in your effin face, now p**s off.') I must have been crazy. I love its mechanical sturdiness. The instant click when I squeeze.

I suppose I should ebay the bodies and get a Nikon Digital body. Do they accept the old AI-S lenses? What functionality do the new lenses offer that the AI-S won't? What is a good amateur Nikon digi-body to buy considering how much I love my F3?

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon:

Welcome to the world of digital SLRs. What a great camera the F3 was...and still is! It's amazing how dependable many of the old Nikons are. While I've owned one Nikon in my time, I've really always been a Canon shooter so I'm going to defer to some more knowledgable of Nikons to speak of the functonality of the AI-S lens. My guess is you'll want to update to autofocus lens to get the most of the electronics on the new cameras. The only insight I have is I just read a great review on the Nikon D80.

Simon:

Welcome to the world of digital SLRs. What a great camera the F3 was...and still is! It's amazing how dependable many of the old Nikons are. While I've owned one Nikon in my time, I've really always been a Canon shooter so I'm going to defer to some more knowledgable of Nikons to speak of the functonality of the AI-S lens. My guess is you'll want to update to autofocus lens to get the most of the electronics on the new cameras. The only insight I have is I just read a great review on the Nikon D80.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't mind changing the 35-70 lens for an AF 50mm for starters because I never did like zoom lenses. The 20mm lens costs a fortune and is beautiful, because of the slight distortion on perspective -- that will never get replaced by an AF lens.

What extra benefits do the latest AF lenses offer?

Thanks for the reply.

I don't mind changing the 35-70 lens for an AF 50mm for starters because I never did like zoom lenses. The 20mm lens costs a fortune and is beautiful, because of the slight distortion on perspective -- that will never get replaced by an AF lens.

What extra benefits do the latest AF lenses offer?

For me, the greatest benefit is the autofocus itself! While I still own one manual focus medium format camera, man I'm spoiled by autofocus. It's just so much faster and most of the time, more accurate that I am. Secondly, depending on the lens, the coatings are better today than decades ago and you'll find more high definition or extra-low dispersion glass (better glass in short). That is not true, however, on some of the more inexpensive lens and the ones that may come with a camera kit. Canon calls there high-end lens "L" lens. Stands for luxury and they are wonderful lenses indeed.

The electronics in the newer lens will let the body communicate with the lens and record focal length, etc on your image information (if that's important). I know there's Nikon shooters here so hopefully they'll chime in.

I have a D70 for about 1 month now and I'm not sure I can add any thing other than my camera is smarter than I am,they will talk to each other- body- lens- flash and make minor adjustments as you shoot-

I am transitioning (after a 25 year hiatus)from a Cannon AE1 and its been easier than I thought.

The advice I got was old lenses are great- on old cameras.:frown:

Nikon F3-HP

Absolutely fabulous camera. I bought a used one about eight years ago, and it's built like a tank.

20mm f2.8

This one has been on my wish list for ages. I have a rather unremarkable 28mm f/3.5, and I used to borrow the AF version of the 24mm f/2.8. It was never quite a wide enough angle for me...

105mm f3.5 (I think)

It's probably the f/2.5, which is an absolutely fabulous portrait lens -- maybe the best ever made. With a yellow #15 filter, you can get absolutely fabulous headshots on B&W film (Plus-X or Tri-X).

I also recommend the 50mm f1.4 if you happen to find one at a used camera shop or on eBay. It's sharp as a tack when stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8, and I've taken some great shots wide open in very low light.

All of this is making me nostalgic for the days of film...sorry that I don't have any useful advice for you. I haven't gone to a digital SLR yet, but I'm sure I will, and I have a digital point 'n' shoot. Still, I miss the art and creativity of those old Nikon SLRs... :crying:

A nice bright 50mm is next on my list of lenses.

The telephoto lens is a series E (cheap) 135mm f2.8. It was that or the Nikkor f3.5 and I wanted something a little brighter at the time.

Maybe I'll just get it serviced and wait until I actually have some money to update properly. The 5MP pocket camera does a nice job on holidays and is *so* compact.

I think digital is in the future of every SLR shooter, but you'll regret it if you get rid of that F3. Nothing digital (or even AF film) will feel as satisfying.

Nikon F3-HP
+ SB-35 hammerhead flash
3x Nikkor AI-S lenses:
20mm f2.8
35-70mm f3.3-4.5
105mm f3.5 (I think)
Canon Ixus APS camera

Cheers,

Simon.

I'm a Canon guy myself (shoot with the 20D) but here's the thing to consider... The D70 and others should take your old glass... That would be a huge plus... While digital cam lenses are multi-coated and have other enhancements that make them better suited, generally you won't find any problems in most shooting conditions. You will have to keep in mind that the focal length will be off. Because the CCD of the digitals are smaller then a 35mm slide, you actually get a ratio (typically 1.6) for the lenses... i.e. a 300mm lens from your 35mm will actually be a 480mm on a digital. That sounds great, but it also comes with a price... This also means less light is going to be hitting the CCD as well. That portion isn't nearly as noticable, so it's still all good... ;)

If u have equipment from your old camera definitely try to see whats compatible with existing dslr's. Usually only takes a step-up ring or down-ring to use older lenses.

Depending on what body you're looking at, some of the Nikon DSLRs will take the old glass with full meter functionality, while others will take the glass with limited metering, and I believe others won't work at all. Tell me your price range and I can give some advice.

Oh, I'd hold on to the bodies if you can. Film items are not selling for much right now. You never know, they may become collectors items some day. Selling right now would mean selling at the low point.

I also have some AI-s lenses and I asked the same question in a camera forum a couple of years ago. The answer was that they will mount and work in the most basic way, but they will not interact with any of the camera's control features. You would have to set the aperture on the lens, set the shutter speed on the camera, all without any feedback from the camera, and hope for the best.

I decided that if I bought a Nikon DSLR, I would also be buying the lenses that are made for it.

Nikon does make a DSLR with rugged features for news photographers, I believe it is either the D2X or the D2H. Those models may be outdated, now, though. I haven't looked at them in a year or more. I expect that if those are old models, they probably replaced them with similar, newer models.

Tim

Tim, correct, they will all mount, but the bodies offer varying metering features for the non-AF lenses. For instance, I believe only the D200, D2H, and D2X offer full Matric metering with AI-s lenses.

I fear you are tempting me to stick with the status quo.

I was fondling the F3 today, after so long just being lazy and using the compact-canon-digital. She is *so* beautiful, it would be a shame to get rid of her. I've got a lovely baby being born in just over 10 weeks, I just cannot get rid of the F3. Think of all those lovely proper baby photos. I'm sure I can buy lots of cheap film and chemicals...

Sorry guys, I'm sticking with the old world shaving and old world photography.

Thanks for answering my question (that the AI-S lenses will not work properly in the DSLR.)

I've got a friend who shoots 35mm and then runs the film/slides thru a slide scanner to digitize the image. Two advantages are: 1) No shutter lag; 2) Much less expensive than a new digital camera plus glass.

Jim
Ex-photographer who has sold ALL his cameras.

Top Bottom