What's new

My 1st DE Shave...Impressions

Well, I just finished my first DE shave, and I am not as traumatized as I thought I would be. A couple of observations...

1. I love applying the soap with the brush! I used Taylor of Old Bond Street and an Edwin Jagger best badger brush. Love it, and a little goes a loooong way.

proxy.php

proxy.php

2. I did 3+ passes. The first pass WTG had me worried. I thought more hair would come off. The second and third pass ATG cleaned it up much nicer, and I ended up with a fairly close shave, at least as good as the hated, expensive Mach 3, and I think better.

3. I need to get used to the fact that I don't have a pivoting blade anymore. I had trouble keeping the blade on my skin and at times felt like I was dragging a non-blade part of the razor over my face, thus getting no cutting. I need to learn to follow my face myself.

4. I have a distinct patch of BBS where there is clearly no hair. It is very noticeable in the mirror because it is much lighter in color. It could also be that I have less hair in that area, but I hadn't noticed that effect shaving before. It all feels smooth, but if I could get my whole face like that one teeny patch...

5. I didn't really cut myself, but I think I need to learn to be patient and use less pressure. I had a couple of dots I needed to hit with the styptic stick, but nothing crazy.

6. Very pleased with the first shave. If it gets easier and closer I'll be thrilled.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Congrats!
It does get better and it does get easier as your technique improves.
Don't get discouraged, impatient, or cocky, that's when problems develop.
Your right about the pressure - no pressure is what is needed.
You'll develop the tricks to keep your angle right over time and it all pays off with a great, satisfying ritual that the average guy today just doesn't have.

Congrats on your shave, it gets better for sure. As far as keeping the angle correct, short strokes will help a lot with that, the long strokes tend to make me change the angle more. Short strokes and no pressure=awesome shave.

Sounds like you are well on your way, and will get over the learning curve in short order.

Welcome aboard and keep it up!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom