What's new

thoughts on a nikon macro lens?

I have a nikon d3000, and would like to get a lens that takes super close ups, small items, etc.

Do you have any recommendations on what lens to buy?

Having gone that route once in the past, I'd caution you to really think about what your needs are. Do you need a dedicated macro lens or a lens that can do double duty? The double duty lenses have some trade-offs, but might be the best choice for you in the long run.

I think any macro lens can do 'double duty' - i.e., you aren't limited to *only* shooting macros with the lens.

A couple lenses to consider might be the relatively new Nikkor Micro 60mm and the Sigma 18-50 macro. On the D3000 you will probably be more interested in lenses that have built-in focus motors (AF-S lenses from nikon or HSM lenses from sigma).

Hope this helps!

I think the Tamron 90/2.8 with Nikon mount is best macro lenses for the value.

Pick up a set of extension tubes and you are set!

Having gone that route once in the past, I'd caution you to really think about what your needs are. Do you need a dedicated macro lens or a lens that can do double duty? The double duty lenses have some trade-offs, but might be the best choice for you in the long run.

I totally agree with him, I think you need to ask yourself how much use you'll give to the lens. I wouldn't recommend buying a dedicated lens, unless the usage is going to be heavy (I wouldn't buy a fisheye lens for the same reason).

I have a 105mm f2.8 micro and is really good (Is an old lens, compatible with my Nikon D200). What's nice about this lens is that enlarges at 1:1 so you get real life photos.

I would suggest to try different lenses before you make your decision. I took a look at your camera, and unfortunately, cannot meter with older lenses.

Does the d3000 work with old non-AF lenses? Some of the old industry workhorses like a 55mm macro are what I use to this day. You could find a used one for a decent price I'd think.

The Nikon 105/2.8 would be gold standard. If you're not averse to a used copy, fredmiranda.com is the place for 2nd hand gear.

Top Bottom