What's new

Shave #2: The ATG pass is the challenge

Shave #2 was much like shave #1. SS loaded with a Shark, Tabac lather on a T3 brush. Ogallala Bay Rum AS followed by SCS Bay Rum with a twist lotion.

On the plus side, I didn't slice up my adam's apple today. On the downside, I've got a bit of razor burn on my lower neck from my ATG pass - almost completely sideways E->W. The contours of the skin change so fast that it's hard to identify a flat surface for each stroke. Probably going to have to shorten my stroke even more.

Still trying to get the razor angle right. I can definitely hear when the blade is on the beard. I have to remember to come in towards my face with the razor either parallel or perpendicular to the skin. If I approach at the 30 degree angle, I'm essentially chopping my neck!

The AS & lotion took care of irritation in short order. I am fast becoming a bay rum addict!

It took 3 cleanup passes to get a close shave today - perhaps because I was a little more apprehensive and tentative after shave #1.

In any event, Shave #2 is in the bag and I'm looking forward to #3 tomorrow!

Nice going. Keep it up and be patient with yourself.

I just finished a shave and it's insane to feel so good about something so simple, daily and mundane.

It takes time to get there, but it's like enlightenment when it starts to really work for you. I just feel like posting THIS ROCKS! on the General Shaving Discussion after a shave like I just got.

I'm finding the XTG pass is where the money is. WTG and AGT I'd been doing for years. But XTG is where the finesse comes in for me. That's where you need to determine the direction of beard growth the most I think.

Hang in there.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good work! Sounds like it's going well... ATG on shave #2, that's quick!

If you keep getting burnt on the ATG don't be afraid to skip it. I've found that three WTG passes (or two WTG and 1 XTG if I am in the mood) do me just as much good as 1 WTG and 1 ATG, without the burn. It is whatever suits your face, really - there is no right or wrong way to shave, only YOUR way.

Top Bottom