What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable questions

I have never used an adjustable razor, so these questions could be generic or particular to the Gillette Slim Adjustable I am thinking about:

1. I understand the adjustment needs to be made with the doors open/loose blade. Is this true? If that is the case, it seems a little difficult to adjust it on the fly, while shaving, for different areas of the face.

2. If I don't shave for 2-3 days and have a somewhat heavy beard and sensitive skin (yeah, I got the best of both worlds!) would I start with a more aggressive setting (3-4) on the 1st pass and then tone it down for the next passes, or should I start with a mild setting (1-2) and then go up for the next passes?

Thank you for answering my questions.

but I do have a Slim and Fatboy. I think most guys just adjust the razor at a setting that works for them and use it for the entire shave. You're right that the doors should be opened when adjusting the blade gap - thus why it would be difficult to adjust it "on the fly."

As for whether you should adjust it to a higher setting if you have a lot of growth, well that depends on you. You can try experimenting to see if that works for you. My inclination would be to start at a lower setting to take off the "worst of it" then dial up for the second pass (assuming I were to adjust mid-shave).

I just keep my Slim and Fatboy dialed in at 4 or 5, depending on the blade I use and don't bother with the settings too much.

The point of the adjustables is that you can have a mild or aggressive razor all in one.

I have never used an adjustable razor, so these questions could be generic or particular to the Gillette Slim Adjustable I am thinking about:

1. I understand the adjustment needs to be made with the doors open/loose blade. Is this true? If that is the case, it seems a little difficult to adjust it on the fly, while shaving, for different areas of the face.

2. If I don't shave for 2-3 days and have a somewhat heavy beard and sensitive skin (yeah, I got the best of both worlds!) would I start with a more aggressive setting (3-4) on the 1st pass and then tone it down for the next passes, or should I start with a mild setting (1-2) and then go up for the next passes?

Set it to three and see how it goes.

+1 Mine is set on #4 and I never change it. In past years when I did play with the settings, I alway loosened the doors when adjusting....It's just the way my dad taught me...It makes sense to me not to dial up with pressure on the mechanisim....but I don't know if it affects anything.

There is a little bit of debate on this one, but I think the general agreement is that you should loosen the door, if only to be on the safe side. I use a slim as my daily shaver and I personally never adjust during a shave unless I've been too zealous and can feel irritation coming on.

Again, I see no need to adjust at all. I keep mine on 5 at all times and it seems to be able to handle just about any amount of growth. Actually, I just shaved off a 2 week old moustache yesterday on my standard setting. Easy as pie. Plus, I see adjusting during a shave to be counter-productive as you'd have to also adjust your shave angle every time. Start on 3 and see if that works for you. My guess is that you'll end up using a more aggressive setting in the future, but for now start easy.

7 for first 2 passes and then 3-5 for final ATG pass. Using Sharks or Astras.

Blades will also have some effect.

I just recently got a Slim & love it. The Slims get an extra half-turn at the end to lock the doors and mechanism down. I don't fully open the doors to adjust, just back it out of that final lockdown. We're only talking seconds to make an adjustment. I usually leave it on one setting for the entire shave because I get into a groove and don't remember to change it. Start at 3 for a couple of shaves, then try a 4, etc. The setting is also going to depend on the aggressiveness of the blade you're using. I'm currently using Derbys. I find I get a decent shave and they are more forgiving when I'm testing out a new razor.

I use a Slim as my daily razor.

I start with five for my WTG pass. Six for my XTG pass. Seven for my ATG pass. I've tried going in reverse order (more aggressive settings to less with each pass). Not sure it made a tremendous difference in the shave. I suspect it is one of those pesky YMMV situations.

As for making adjustments mid-shave.... Personally I don't find that a big deal. You only have to take a bit of tension off the doors, not open them entirely (half a turn maybe) and then adjust and re-tighten the mechanism. I think it takes no more time than rinsing the blade after a few strokes.

Lots of luck. I wish you great success with your Slim.

The only time I adjust my razor is if I use a different blade.
4 or 5 for a IP or Derby and I dial back 1 if I use a Feather.
Bob.

+1 Mine is set on #4 and I never change it. In past years when I did play with the settings, I alway loosened the doors when adjusting....It's just the way my dad taught me...It makes sense to me not to dial up with pressure on the mechanisim....but I don't know if it affects anything.

When the blade is clamped into place, the downward pressure of the clamped blade pushes directly against the adjustment dogs which stick up through the base plate. Attempting to adjust "up" forces the adjuster dogs tighter against the locked blade. If you are able to force it up a notch, you now have a VERY tight assembly. Continuing to stress the mechanics like that will only result in deformity and wear. :sad:

If you reduce adjustment, you now have a loose blade and could require stitches!! :crying:

Best practice - always loosen blade first before changing adjustment dial.

I have changed setting in mid shave - not as a general practice, but to occasionally compensate for variable factors like blade dulling, lather thinning, or "how is my face liking this today" issues.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with this. All you do is loosen, adjust, tighten. It might take all of 3 seconds. I don't think anyone would want to adjust their razor in the middle of a stroke.

Len

When the blade is clamped into place, the downward pressure of the clamped blade pushes directly against the adjustment dogs which stick up through the base plate. Attempting to adjust "up" forces the adjuster dogs tighter against the locked blade. If you are able to force it up a notch, you now have a VERY tight assembly. Continuing to stress the mechanics like that will only result in deformity and wear. :sad:

If you reduce adjustment, you now have a loose blade and could require stitches!! :crying:

Best practice - always loosen blade first before changing adjustment dial.

I have changed setting in mid shave - not as a general practice, but to occasionally compensate for variable factors like blade dulling, lather thinning, or "how is my face liking this today" issues.

Hmm, this is the kind of thing that pops up now and then under the heading of "I wish somebody had told me that".

I've only used my Slim for the life of one blade, four or five shaves, and have put it away for now. Never occurred to me, though, that there would be any reason to loosen it in between blade adjustments. It seemed logical that it would be designed to be adjusted with the blade tightened down. I made a lot of adjustments looking for the best setting, and there didn't seem to be any difficulty. Does anybody know what the original Gillette manual said?

Oh well, I'll hope I haven't caused any permanent damage, I certainly didn't notice any. I'll remember this, though, the next time I take out the Slim, and the first time I try my Fatboy.

Just remembered this thread, which has original instructions for many razors.

Post #3 is for Gillette adjustables. It does mention the extra half turn to lock the blade down, but doesn't say anything about loosening it between adjustments. Is this just something that users came up with on their own as being a good idea, or is there a later instruction?

I see adjusting during a shave to be counter-productive as you'd have to also adjust your shave angle every time. Start on 3 and see if that works for you. My guess is that you'll end up using a more aggressive setting in the future, but for now start easy.

+1
I started on 4 until I got used to the razor and the blades I use. Now I leave it on 6 all the time.

- Peter

It does mention the extra half turn to lock the blade down, but doesn't say anything about loosening it between adjustments. Is this just something that users came up with on their own as being a good idea, or is there a later instruction?
Interesting. I didn't notice it in the 195 adjustable (FB) instructions either. Maybe men of the time were genetically programmed to know this and it's been bred out of us through 50 years of cartridge use. Or maybe it was planned obsolescence on the part of Gillette so the razor didn't last as long. There is more resistance trying to turn that knob once the blade is locked, so that might be a clue that something isn't quite right.

I'm glad I asked before I used the Slim. Good point about the half-turn and it makes sense to loosen the blade before adjusting.

I had my first shave this morning with the Slim set at 3. Very smooth and comfortable shave, but I think I would like it a little more aggressive. Good thing it goes all the way up to 9 :smile: I think I will bump it up with each shave until I get in trouble and then go down one number, that would probably be my comfort zone.

One thing I found a little more difficult is cleaning the razor at the end, cream and whiskers seem to be stuck in all holes and notches that this razor has. I ended up taking out the blade and rinsing it really well, with the doors open.

One thing I found a little more difficult is cleaning the razor at the end, cream and whiskers seem to be stuck in all holes and notches that this razor has. I ended up taking out the blade and rinsing it really well, with the doors open.
I always take the blade out, give the razor a good rinse with hot then cold water, then wipe dry the razor head with a paper towel. I know you don't have to but I have hard water and tend to get a buildup of soap film on the razor if I let it go.

Top Bottom