What's new

Who has shaved with the Mulcuto?

I found this NOS Mulcuto Rasier-Apparat (Solingen Germany). Looks like a sort of slant razor. It won a gold medal on the 8th international exhibition for inventions in London 1932. It weighs 62 gr. The blades were not included but I happened to have bought a lot of them a year ago. They have two different sides, one for the first pass and one for the final.

Anybody seen it before and tried it?

I didn't shave with one but many people who own one are satisfied with it.

You can search for Muculto on german nassrasur.com forum and you will find out more.

Well... I recently bought this razor from a member of this board (thanks, Wil!) and I must say that I am quite impressed with the first few shaves. Loaded it with a Derby blade. What struck me the most was how unagressive it is. Since it is a slant razor, I expected to need an alum block or two, but that turned out to be quite unnecessary. Great razor! :)

Well... I recently bought this razor from a member of this board (thanks, Wil!) and I must say that I am quite impressed with the first few shaves. Loaded it with a Derby blade. What struck me the most was how unagressive it is. Since it is a slant razor, I expected to need an alum block or two, but that turned out to be quite unnecessary. Great razor! :)

Glad you like it :thumbup:

I have Three Mulcutos and all are very good Razors.
One is completly made of Plaskon (an older german Plastik) and weights something about 2/3oz, its very aggressiv but shaves very very close.
The Second is made of Plaskon with an Metalhead, this one is not as aggressive like the First. It weights nearly one oz.
The Third one is a Patent Demonstrator for the World Exhibition 1932 with to different aggressiv sides of the head, its 2,5oz and the long handle makes him one of my best shavers. The agressiv Sides shaves very close, the less aggressiv side very smooth, a perfect mix for a slant raszor :)

At the Moment i only have Photos of the 1932 Exhibition Patent Demonstrator:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see, it got the typical prewar Mulcuto Handle, it bit heavier than the 50s Style Handle and also a bit longer.
The Two Gaps are on the low aggressive side of the Razorhead and are similar to the later invented "Hohlschliff" und "Schaufelschliff" Blades of Mulcuto, these Blades also had Gaps to feel the aggressive and the smooth side of the Blade. The Mulcuto Blades are also marked with "Vorrasur" (First Stroke for the longer Beard) and "Nachrasur" (Smoother Side of the Blades for the Finish).

Here are a few Photos of the Plaskon (a german kind of plastic) version of the Mulcuto Slant Razor in its typical 1930s Box.
The Razor is very lightweight and shows the Head-Design of the post 1932 Slant Razors. The Plaskon Material ist very durable and
more resistant against mechanical stress than bakelite. The Razor is more aggressiv than the Metall Versions and makes an really
really adventurous sound, its one of the typical aggressiv bakelite/plastic Razors from the germany 1930s.

Top Bottom