What's new

What the heck is 'shaving powder'?

Actually, I've had four troops over the past year who had shaving waivers. And after a quick PIF and some instructions all were able to shave daily and have come off of their shaving waivers. I find it ironic that so many here know how to make it work and many African American members have found ways to make it work, but Dr's just recommend depilatory creams, disposable razors or in the end simply giving up and awarding (if you can call it that) a shaving waiver.

When I was serving back in the mid '70s I would be surprised if we had four brothers in our unit that DIDN'T have a "shaving profile!" They were required to use Magic at least once a week. So, most would stand formation on Monday with a fresh "shave", and then by the weekend had a pretty fair growth going. It was also popular to compress the hair by wearing a nylon stocking over their heads during off-duty hours. Then, on Saturday, grab the Afro pick and get stylin' for the ladies!! When they went to town, they were ready for the party!! :001_cool:

As for us who shaved and had straight hair . . . we looked like soldiers even in civilian clothes!! We did not think it was fair at all and believed that the bro's were getting the best of the ladies because of it!! :mad3:

Looking back now I laugh . . . Saw some Magic Powder at a store recently and had a flood of memories finished by a chuckle . . . :001_smile

Do not use Magic Shave if you like your face.
Do not use Magic Shave if you breathe frequently.
Do not taunt Magic Shave.
Does your husband
Misbehave
Grunt and grumble
Rant and rave
Shoot the brute some
Burma-Shave
Magic Shave

No matter
How you slice it
It's still your face
Be humane
Take a chance
Use
Burma-Shave
Magic Shave

my 'Irish' friend wants to try this. I have suggested to him many many times to use a DE and have offered one of my razors but he refused and makes excuses such as: "then I would have to start using cream/soap..etc" or this is a recent one: "I'm to heavy handed with a razor" even tho I know he has used disposables in the past and get this: "there are only so many ways you can do it" which I don't understand lol. He currently uses an electric razor type and he is always getting ingrown hairs on his neck area. I have tried but it doesn't matter to argue with someone that is really stubborn.

I tried some of the Magic shaving powder some years back. I had no idea what it was, but it was at the dollar store for a buck, so what the heck. It did nothing. Mixed it right, put on skin, and no hair was being removed. I had to find out the hard way that this is a product for black people, and it didn't make any sense why it wouldn't work for white people. My dad got a chuckle when he saw me try to use it. hahaha

Does your husband
Misbehave
Grunt and grumble
Rant and rave
Shoot the brute some
Burma-Shave
Magic Shave

No matter
How you slice it
It's still your face
Be humane
Take a chance
Use
Burma-Shave
Magic Shave

Glad I put down my afternoon cup of coffee that was sipping on or I would have to clean up the keyboard.

enjoying all the grief about depilatories.
i did not see this mentioned.
Williams made a lathering shave powder some time back.
Essentially shave soap pulverized.
Was used in shave soap machines.
I've used some courtesy another member here, and indeed it lathers and shaves much like original tallow Williams.

$williams shave powder rooney victorian filarmonica 13 inox alt innsbruck march 18 2015.jpg

When I was in the Army back in the '70s the majority of black guys were using Magic Powder - very few shaved with a razor. I recall the product having a pungent odor . . . half a dozen guys in the latrine using it at the same time was a little overwhelming!
Interesting, when I returned from Vietnam in January 71, I was assigned to the Old Guard doing ceremonies in and around Washington, DC. We had quite a few African American troops in the unit. And regulations required that we all be completely clean shaven. Everyone was using either a DE or with a very few exceptions, an injector. To my knowledge, not one of the men in my unit had problems with ingrown hairs or razor bumps until the TracII started showing up. To my recollection, every one who tried a multi-blade razor and developed razor bumps etc soon went back to a singe blade razor.

Last edited:
Magic "shave" powder was a chemical hair dissolver for African men with ingrown hair problems,but it would work on anyone...Shaving powders are usually mixed with water to create lather , often with poor results.Shave powder is still sold in Greece today...( pictured here is HERMES powder ).

Attachments

• $magic.jpg
    $magic.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 59
  • $hermes   shave powder.jpg
    $hermes shave powder.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 59
There is an old thread floating around somewhere where a never tried to make powdered shaving soap, I'll see if I can find it.

RJ - Chicago
Posted from my phone, please forgive typos.

Hi,

I have been at this 40 years now, and never knew that Magic Shave was not simply soap powder like what shaving powder used to be.

Good thing I never bought any to face lather with!

When Old Spice soap died out, I moved to Palmolive brush type cream. When that died out, I moved to a local NC farm-made soap.

Stan

I love necro posts!
Anyway it's a sound concept. Lye works great at dissolving hair in drains (along with most other organic material) so why not use it to dissolve hair on your body?

Pictured: an avid shaving powder user.
$Raiders-of-the-lost-ark-melting-face-300x268.jpg

Top Bottom