What's new

Gillette SS, but what model?

I just recently picked this up on bay, was surprised I was the only bidder.

proxy.php

I am not sure what model of SS it is, I have not seen the pattern on the handle before.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

not too worried about the end cap, dont think it will effect the way it shaves will it?

proxy.php

I didnt see a date code in the picture, but I have not received it as of yet. Will have to check it out. Probably just the wrong angle as the date code I think is closer to the edge of the razor.

Can you replace the end caps at all? wonder if there is a source for them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You can tell by the handle knurling. It's a 1958 TV Special, the date code is D (my birth year).
The end cap has no effect on the razor whatsoever. Good score!
The end caps can be replaced, usually from a donor razor that isn't in good shape.
If you don't have one around, remind me after the New Year, I have a few.

Can anyone clarify what an end cap is for me? I never understood what it is and "end cap" is too short for the search function.

Thank you.

Ah ha, I see now. Actually, they are what I thought they were, but I didn't realize they were just glued over.

Ah ha, I see now. Actually, they are what I thought they were, but I didn't realize they were just glued over.

I think they were originally soldered on the razors by Gillette, but members here have had good success gluing them back on. I did, using Gorilla Glue, and it's held up for well over a year.

I think they were originally soldered on the razors by Gillette, but members here have had good success gluing them back on. I did, using Gorilla Glue, and it's held up for well over a year.

Yeah, that was it. I'd read about gluing them on, the solder having come off.

I was thinking some silver solder would work and be a little more original then using glue. my glue of choice would probably be JB weld for metal work.

I was thinking some silver solder would work and be a little more original then using glue. my glue of choice would probably be JB weld for metal work.

Might be a problem to Silver Solder it in place without damaging the finish. Others may know for sure.

found on an old car repair forum that silver solder is used to repair chrome parts on cars such as grills.

You're good on the silver solder, that's probably the most used filler/repair metal on chrome plating.

Top Bottom