What's new

Looking for an unscented soap to mix with creams

I just finished a sampler of creams and a couple soaps. I love the T&H 1805 scent, so I'm going to purchase a tub and some AS Balm. I've tried out the cream along, but I started out using uber lathers. I started with some Mama Bear soaps mixed with a tube of Old Spice lime. It was OK, but when I ran out of the Old Spice cream, I replaced it with Tom's of Maine unscented. I like this cream well enough. At least it didn't mess with the lovely smell of Mama Bear's soaps.

Now I'm in the opposite dilemma. I have a cream with a smell I like, so I need a soap that won't spoil it. I haven't bothered mixing the Mama Bear soap with the T&H cream. The combination of scents doesn't sound at all appealing :skep:

T&H only makes one scent of soap, so that's out. :(

I've been using a tub of Monsaven I bought from another B&B member. The soap is great (once I got used to lathering it), but I can smell it's scent on top of the scents in the creams.

After looking at Mama Bear's and Prairie Creations's sites, I might go ahead and order some scented soaps too. I don't want to use 1805 everyday do I? How would that help feed the SAD? :whistling:

Does anyone else mix soap with cream and are concerned amount mixing scents? Any suggestions?

Mama Bear, Honeybee Spa, Susie's Bubbles, and Prairie Creations all have unscented soaps. MWF has a light scent that shouldn't interefere with a stronger cream's scent. Also consider Kiss My Face Fragrance Free. It will improve another cream's lather without affecting the scent.

Empty Words already said it, but why don't you get some unscented soap from Mama Bear, since you are already familiar with her soaps? Brambleberry also sells unscented soap in large quantities.

MWF would be the best bet. It costs next to nothing (when you consider how long it lasts) and it contains tallow and lanolin.

EDIT: Williams would also be another option. Yes, it has a slight scent, but when I used to make superlathers with creams and Williams, I could never detect the scent of Williams.

I had been considering MWF. I like the Monsavon, so I suspect I would like MWF as much or more. :) It lasts a long time? Is it a "hard" soap? It seems to be priced at the higher end of the spectrum for soaps. Price isn't my primary concern, but it was my initial hesitation to buy something so expensive without trying it. That good huh?

Susie's Bubbles, Honeybee Spa, and Brambleberry are all names I am not familiar with. I'll look into them.

Williams? I'm not sure about that one either. If you think you can't smell it much, but you can a little, I'm concerned. The Monsavon doesn't interfere too bad either, but it's enough to bother me. Maybe I'm just being too picky, but if I'm trying to make shaving the most enjoyable experience possible, well... then... ?? :p

I'm starting to think I need to find a staple unsecented of both. A cream and a soap that I can mix with a scented version of the other. I have a cream I don't mind (Tom's of Maine), but I need a soap.

Maybe I will just get one from each of these to see which I like. It really is an illness isn't it? :a23:

Added:
Brambleberry as in the DIY soap? hmmm I definitely consider myself a DIY kinda person. I have wondered about the soapmaking craft, but I don't really want to put in the effort to do it well. I'm happy enough leaving that to the artisans among us :)

Addition 2:
I looked up Willams. I like the price :) I'm defintely going to see if someplace local sells it. Something I can get local for a couple bucks is a great unscented soap staple. Thanks!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Williams is unscented, a citronella like scent IMO, but most agree it has a scent. VDH Deluxe is a good choice that's is locally obtainable, works better than Williams IMO, has shea butter, and virtually no scent.

Try the AoS unscented. You could also score a vintage soap like Old Spice, which has likely lost it's scent over the years.

I think that for the price, Williams is worth trying. I keep meaning to try a superlather with mine.
Since you like MamaBears, that would also be a good soap to try. Again, I haven;t tried this.
MWF does have a scent, although it is a mild, soapy scent. Hard to describe, other than it smells like 'clean'. This is one soap I have superlathered. I love the lather I get using this with Nivea or KMF lavender. If you don't care about the ceramic bowl, save some cash and buy the Kent soap, either in a wood bowl or a refill. It is rebranded MWF.

I've used Saint Charles Shaves' Unscented soap and cream just as you've suggested, with great success. Each works very well on its own - very rich, effective lather - but each also makes a great super lather with a scented version of its counterpart.

:cool:

Try the AoS unscented. You could also score a vintage soap like Old Spice, which has likely lost it's scent over the years.

AOS is a great soap. Instead of going for a super lather every time why don't you just use a soap or a cream at a time and work on perfecting your technique with that soap or cream?

Top Bottom