What's new

IKEA Kitchen

Does anyone have the IKEA Kitchen cabinets?
I know they are particle board, but if I can get 15-20 yrs out of one, I'll be happy.

Personnally, no. However, I have a couple of friends who both have them in their kitchens and are very happy. Admittedly, one is Swedish.:wink2:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
No experience with kitchen cabinets, but most of their products seem to come with pretty decent hardware and are pretty rugged overall.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the IKEA Kitchen cabinets?
I know they are particle board, but if I can get 15-20 yrs out of one, I'll be happy.

I have just one piece which I used to make a cabinet within a recess in my bathroom. Well made & easy to assemble. Has a very sturdy steel mounting system that makes it easy to hang on the wall. Attach the steel bracket to the studs and hang the cabinet sections from the bracket. Doors are sold as separate items so you have lots of choices.

Did our entire kitchen with Ikea cabinets. After 5 years, my verdict: Quite decent, especially for the price. The hinges are good quality, the slides are fine, and the finishes are pretty reasonable, though some of the finishes are more durable than others. As with many things Ikea, the quality of the finished product depends on the quality of your assembly. If you pick the right stuff, and assemble with care, you should be happy.

Finally, two tips: The doors do not come drilled for hardware; get an alignment gauge to drill for knobs (if you're not using recessed hardware, as I did.) You should be able to find a gauge/template at any of the big box hardware stores. And if you don't already own one, get a nail gun to install the backs of the cabs--it will make the job go much, much faster if you're assembling a bunch of cabinets. Arrow makes an inexpensive electric brad gun that will do the trick.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. I am going to have them professionally installed by an Ikea certified contractor. The cabinets for my kitchen will cost about $4k, and 3 bathrooms and a den area will cost about $2k. So about 6.5k in cabinets. The installer charges about $100 a cabinet, so 23 cabinets - $2300. And then a little extra since I want to reshape my island.

The price can't be beat. The only issue is that these are particle board cabinets. If you go to Lowes or HD, they sell the same, but most can be upgraded to Plywood, which I read/told/think is better, especially for water damage. But these are more $$. I don't want to drop 85k for cabinets.
I love the IKEA european style. They come with 25 yr warranty. But if you have water damage, your in trouble. Worst case, I can go to ikea and buy a new cabinet for the sink.
I am going to get granite put on it.
Here's a sample pic of the cabinets I am getting:

Having recently remodeled a kitchen from the studs, the most important thing is to know what you are getting and what the pros and cons are of the various options.

The key components of a cabinet are the boxes (the actual cabinets/frames) and the hardware (hinges, drawer slides/rollers, etc.).

The next most important thing is the finish level - if its a wood, how thick is the veneer, the tapes around the edges, etc. Is the finish durable enough to stand normal wear and tear, etc. The rest is cosmetic.

With regard to the boxes, you've noted out that the first decision is particle vs ply. Generally marine grade plywood is the best material as its strong and very resistant to water damage. That being said, this is only an issue in the event of a major leak or spill that sits for a long time. However, if this does happen, the particle can get badly damaged. You don't have to drop $85k for plywood construction (at $85k, you're into custom made, as opposed to an upgrade to a Lowes or HD kitchen. The particle board is also more prone to having screws strip, chipping, etc. As for getting a replacement, if you have to hang new boxes, it can get expensive and is a real pain in the rump.

On a day to day basis, the hardware is probably the most important aspect - if the hinges and drawer hardware sucks, you're not going to enjoy your kitchen. I'm not sure what options Ikea offers, but don't scrimp. Also, there are some pretty neat options out there like soft touch doors and drawers (these are the drawers that you push in they close by themselves so no more banging drawers shut or drawers that only get pushed in part way.

Another issue is how far out you can pull the draweres - again I'm not sure what Ikea offers, but getting drawers you can pull out all of the way makes it much easier to get at things.

All in all, I've heard very good things about Ikea kitchens and think they offer good value for the money and some very nice styles that you typically can't get at this price point. So long as you know what you're buying quality-wise and are comfortable with the pros/cons and the price seems right, the Ikea stuff should do just fine.

I understand europeans often take their kitchens with them when they move. I recently remodeled my kitchen and used RTA Home Depot (Masco) cabinets. I used Gorilla Glue on the joints before assembling. I estimate a 300% strength increase over the cam-locks alone. Watch out for drips, nearly impossible to remove. And the glue expands as it cures.

Bob G.

Thanks, if only IKEA made the boxes from marine grade plywood, it would be perfect. Even if one spends a lot of money on cabinets, I think it would be redone in about 20 yrs to accomodate for the change in style, etc.
They also come with soft close drawers.

Last edited:
Just my 2cents, but I personally would never have the MDF for cabinets. It can be a problem with very little moisture. Good cabinets made from wood would always be the better way to go if it is a home you are planning on staying in. Doors can be changed on existing cabinets to accommodate changes in style. Quality cabinets can last the life of the house.

As far as $85,000 for custom cabinets, no way they can be that expensive in an average or even slightly above average sized kitchen. You would have to have an incredibly large kitchen, or have to use exceptionally rare or exotic wood. $20 to $25K should get it done.

So I pulled the trigger on the kitchen. It's been a rough week. So far I am very impressed with their stuff. It is definitely way better than my previous cabinets, and they lasted 15 yrs.

Ok, almost done except for the final touches such as painitng and tiling. But so far I am very happy with it.

That thing came out looking great! Are you satisfied with your perception of their long-term durability? It's such a great looking kitchen without being over-the-top Euro-modern. Well done, MasterP.

Dave

Thanks. I pretty much kept the layout of the old kitchen, adding a pullout trash bin and changing the microwave from cabinet mount to counter. I had to move the microwave bec the vent hood's that come with these microwaves are weak only about 200-350 CFM. So this new hood has 1000 CFM. I also changed the shape of the island from a U shape to a rectangular.

Overall, I am very satisfied witht these cabinets. I would put these in a 50K home or a million dollar home. The cabinet boxes are MDF, they are not regular particle board. There is no way I can damage these with just regular wear, I see them lasting 25 yrs. One of the coolest things is that the floor cabinets have plastic legs, but they are very hard plastic legs. SO if there is aleak or a flood in the future the cabinets wont be harmed as long as the water is 4 inches or lower. Also the toekicks just clamps on to those legs and are easily removable for when I put new tiles, etc. Once these cabinets are assembled and properly mounted they are pretty solid, and once the granite is laid, they aren't going anywhere.

The hardware that comes with these are excellent.
My neighbor came in to see them before I put the granite on it, I told him I spent 50K on it and he believed it. But here's the truth, I spent about $6500 for 21 cabinets, and $100 per cabinet to install by their certified installers.

Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to desing them using their software. No matter what house I build in the future, I would get these.

Last edited:
looks great Masterp. My wife and I have a Ikea kitchen that we installed ourselves a couple of years ago. Its is holding up great and I am very happy with our decision.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom