What's new

Business cards?

B

bluefoxicy

Is it worth having/making/carrying a business card if you have a fixed job? I'm not a customer service contractor type, I don't play sales rep, I don't meet prospective clients. I've done that job, I had cards.

If I'm jobless, and not a consultant, should I specifically not have a card?

Another thing is my skillset is so diverse, I don't know how to make an appropriate business card. Name, contact information, EOF. I mean, things I could put on my card?

I dunno.

I'd probably put "Penetration Expert" or something. I think I need more experience before I can claim "Expert" though. "Penetration Spe......t"? My skills (and the useful skill sets anyone would want) go well outside that though; just the other stuff is boring, and there's even more hardcore stuff in my field I want to get into that's even more fun but way more specialized.

On the one hand, my resumé handles my needs. On the other, I'm not going to run into the CISO of AmAir (I've run into the CEO of an airline once too, and CFO of a few companies... we usually chat business for a while and then they give me a card) and just whip out a full page prepared resumé from my wallet.

Again, on the one hand I have a decent, stable job; on the other, something more fun could come along, with better pay and more of an opportunity for self-enrichment.

EDIT: S-p-e-c-i-a-l-i-s-t damn, not c-i-a-l-i-s. This is a thread about employment, not ED.

You can't go wrong with a basic business card with your name and contact information. The only time that you normally give a business card is when you have met face to face with somebody. So, a card with your contact information would be helpful

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Business cards are still an important tool, whether you work for an established firm, or as a free-lancer.
It is free advertisement for you and for what you do.
I drop mine in hotel lobby desk bowls, and give them out at the drop of a hat, even if THAT person isn't a prospective client.
I have received call backs because someone I gave a card to, gave it to someone who could use our services.

Last edited:
I'd probably put "Penetration Expert" or something. I think I need more experience before I can claim "Expert" though. "Penetration Spe......t"? My skills (and the useful skill sets anyone would want) go well outside that though; just the other stuff is boring, and there's even more hardcore stuff in my field I want to get into that's even more fun but way more specialized.

You aren't an adult film actor are you?

B

bluefoxicy

I have received call backs because someone I gave a card to, gave it to someone who could use our services.

See, with me, there's no "our services" at the moment. I'm simply employed, at a desk job. I don't get to do multiple contracts at once, I'm entirely a staff augmentation.

I've done the job where my tasks may involve doing some job for one company, another for another company, and spend time hammering a third company's door down. All in the same day. Fun, yeah, but not my current situation.

Also I'm not looking for a new job right now.

I still wonder, though, if I should be carrying....

You can't go wrong with a basic business card with your name and contact information. The only time that you normally give a business card is when you have met face to face with somebody. So, a card with your contact information would be helpful

+1

Don't skimp on the cost - it's amazing how much better an impression (no pun intended) you leave by presenting a card with embossing and/or raised lettering, printed on a high quality card stock.

B

bluefoxicy

+1

Don't skimp on the cost - it's amazing how much better an impression (no pun intended) you leave by presenting a card with embossing and/or raised lettering, printed on a high quality card stock.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. I used to print these myself when I had them, years ago.

Having a card certainly facilitates making connections when you're looking for a job but the two things are by no means exclusively linked. I think that having a card is something you do when you're an adult with a job. You meet somebody in a social situation and you give them your card. They stick it in their pocket and they have something to remind them about who you are or help them get in touch with you later. I never noticed how often I use them until I ran out of them this fall. A must have item.

I'm also in favor of quality materials and simple design. If you have a business or institutional logo use that. Don't be funny, don't be creepy. Unless, of course, you're a comedian. Or creepy.

Just don't put a watermark on it. Someone might kill you for it.

Raised lettering? Pale nimbus... White. Let's see Paul Allan's card. Look at that subtle off-white coloring, the tasteful thickness of it. My God- it even has a watermark.

Great movie.

B

bluefoxicy

I'm also in favor of quality materials and simple design. If you have a business or institutional logo use that. Don't be funny, don't be creepy. Unless, of course, you're a comedian. Or creepy.

Yeah I always figured the overly loud cards came off like Crazy Eddy's Used Cars. Impressive pitch, but... just no.

Raised lettering? Pale nimbus... White. Let's see Paul Allan's card. Look at that subtle off-white coloring, the tasteful thickness of it. My God- it even has a watermark.

Great movie.

This is the first thing that popped into my head. Glad I wasn't the only one.

I think a basic card is really a good thing to have. You'd be amazed how often you hand one out even outside of "business" contexts.

And I agree with others that when it comes to cards less is more. My card has my name, title, company name and contact info in 2 colors on nice heavy stock. No goofy pictures or graphics, no direct sales pitch, etc.

I have used vistaprint several times and been satisfied every time. They don't do engraved printing or thermography, but their premium card stock is plenty heavy and the print and cut quality is excellent. For the price I haven't found better.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2mHkQUBEpM[/YOUTUBE]

That's hilarious!

"My card doesn't fit in a rolodex".
That means it fits in the trash can rather than clutter up my desk.

Look, a small pop-up book for all the simpletons I meet.

Reminds me of the (thankfully) brief excursion people were making into the Business cards you could play on a computer DVD player, with a small "I'm great" video.

Top Bottom