What's new

Single guy, cooking in a small apartment... Tips?

Actually the apartment isn't that small, but the kitchen sure is. I have a full fridge, a microwave, an oven with a stove top, a sink and about a whole foot of counter space. I do have some cabinets, as well.

I love the rest of my apartment, love my neighborhood; but the lack of variety in my diet has begun to bore me. Ideally, I'd have an enormous kitchen with room to cook up a feast when I desire one, but I don't have the money for such a place right now. Can anyone give me any tips on how to live and eat this way? I'm tired of clumping together ground beef and putting it on the skillet and eating hummus with pita bread. That's all right a couple of times a week, but I can't go on like this, day in and day out, forever!

Easy things I ate in college:

Tuna melts, make toast, put on pan, add tuna and slice of cheese of your choice, throw in oven for a few. Simple, cheap and not too bad!

You're already cooking ground beef, add pasta sauce, keeps forever, easy to reheat!

Beer

I went through a crockpot phase, so easy, meat, potatoes, onions, carrots. Cook all day. Makes a ton, cheap also. I'd get a crockpot, there are a lot of recipes out there.

To cook with limited space you need to remember that you need three things. Organization,organization and organization. Thats a lame attempt at humor, but its true.

If you are following a recipe, read it from start to finish and make sure you understand it.
Get everything ready before you start the actual cooking process, peel and cut all vegetables, measure all spices etc. If you want to be super anal you can line up your ingredients in the order that you will use them. Now you are ready for the actual cooking process. It makes cooking easier.

You can cook anything you like, you just have to be more organized about it. A couple of things that you can do to create working space is to set a table right outside the kitchen, or even put the microwave there if that would clear some counter space. Even if the kitchen is a skinny one it is possible to add a small table in there if you can still maneuver around it.

Being single myself and having a small kitchen(id eat the same if I had a big kitchen) I make alot of crock pot meals... like throwing a pot roast some carrots and potatoes and slow cooking for 8 hours. Also make alot of spaghetti and chili.

I also buy alot of bulk Chicken at Costco and break out the George Foreman grill quite often.

Pastas, with or without meat, bacon, sausages, chicken, fish, tomato, pesto or cream sauce, cheese, vegetables, pastas, pastas, pastas !
proxy.php

Easy, cheap, balanced and infinitely creative home cooking, even with limited hardware...

Last edited:
Like others have said, organization is the key. Sullybob's advice hit the nail on the head, by getting in the habit of premeasuring ingredients you can cut down a lot of mess and you will find yourself using a lot less space. My wife and I used to turn out dinners for 6-8 and homebrew (though not at the same time) in a kitchen with a poorly laid out 8'x3' floor space.

I would think the cooking for one part would be the more difficult problem to solve. 1' of counter space is harsh. I use a cutting board larger than that. Maybe you could reserve the bottom shelf of a hanging cabinet as mock counter space while you prep. You can buy racks (like the kind made of coated wire) to place on the bottom shelf that'll make several smaller shelves to put plates or bowls of food while you're prepping. You might also find hanging racks to give you some additional prep space. Or maybe a shelf attached to the wall. Maybe mounted so it folds up out of the way. If you can fit a rolling rack nearby, you can roll it into the kitchen for some more space. I keep a lot of gear in the linen closet which is right outside my kitchen--baking stuff, glasses & cups, and food. That can free up space in the kitchen cabinets.

If you can get an off-cut of some counter-top you can set up a temporary extra work area on top of your stove. Just make sure the rings are cold, unless the piece is heat-resistant. When not in use you can keep it in the gap next to the fridge.

You've got the basics - all you need are recipes. With what you have described, anyone that has patience and can follow a recipe can cook up some gourmet meals there. Lots of recipe books out there, from easy to difficult - you just have to pick out something that appeals to you.

Good luck!

When I was apartment living I was lucky to live in a complex that provided a gas grill. Aluminum foil and a cast iron skillet was all I needed to cook most meals.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I could probably help a bit but I would like to know first how cooking sounds to you. Do you like quick and easy meals or spend more time in the kitchen?

Do you have a preference food-wise (Italian, Mexican, French, Spanish, Lebanese, etc.)?

Are you looking for a better diet such as organic food or powdered sauces with water is good?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Don't despair! I did some of my best cooking that way. Being single has its downside, but on the other hand no one is telling you silly things like "you can't roll out dough on the kitchen table". Learn to make do, and you may surprise yourself.

It's hard to cook for one, so always try to prepare things that you enjoy as leftovers. I used to love coming home knowing I had a stash of wonton soup or lasagna in the freezer.

When I was single, I prepped all veggies and poultry and meats on shopping day. This was always the day before trash pickup. Packaged into baggies, just had to decide what spices and herbs and method of cooking to use. Took little time or counter space.

As a single guy I basically owned an iron skillet, a casserole dish, and a wok - in a tiny kitchen there's not much you can't cook with them. At least the minimalist approach now will help grow your creativity for the future with a better kitchen.

Hello, all. Thanks for the suggestions!

I really like the idea of a crock pot and Foreman Grill.

As far as what I like to eat... I had a friend who referred to me as "the garbage disposal." I will eat just about anything. There are few things that I will not eat that are generally considered food in Western Civilization. American, Indian, Mexican, Chinese, Sushi, French, Italian, Southwest, anything.

I should mention that I don't have a lot of time. I work part time and go to school full time. I would prefer to not have to spend more than an hour cooking. The food can take longer than an hour to make, but I don't want to be mixing and slicing for any more than an hour.

I should also mention that I eat a lot. I'm 6'3 and physically active and am always hungry.

Right now I don't have a table. I eat in front of my computer in my bedroom, which is, admittedly, pretty disgusting. I think I should get some sort of fold up table that can be used as a place to prepare food. Eventually I'll get a coffee table for the living room and that will double as my dinner table. I should mention that I don't have a lot of money, either.

Thanks again!

Hello, all. Thanks for the suggestions!

I really like the idea of a crock pot and Foreman Grill.

As far as what I like to eat... I had a friend who referred to me as "the garbage disposal." I will eat just about anything. There are few things that I will not eat that are generally considered food in Western Civilization. American, Indian, Mexican, Chinese, Sushi, French, Italian, Southwest, anything.

I should mention that I don't have a lot of time. I work part time and go to school full time. I would prefer to not have to spend more than an hour cooking. The food can take longer than an hour to make, but I don't want to be mixing and slicing for any more than an hour.

I should also mention that I eat a lot. I'm 6'3 and physically active and am always hungry.

Right now I don't have a table. I eat in front of my computer in my bedroom, which is, admittedly, pretty disgusting. I think I should get some sort of fold up table that can be used as a place to prepare food. Eventually I'll get a coffee table for the living room and that will double as my dinner table. I should mention that I don't have a lot of money, either.

Thanks again!

*high five* for computer eaters!

So long as you have the physical space to cook the item you want the amount of space in which to prep it doesn't matter, organization is key. Look at a restaurant kitchen, inch for inch they are probably some of the most cramped when you consider how much is crammed into them and the food that comes out of them.

Work organized, work clean, and take your prep one step at a time before it's time to cook and you'll be good to go.

Top Bottom