What's new

"Wrinkles" in Filly

Just recieved my Filly... Where's it's been "bent" for shipping, there's one section that's slightly "wrinkly"

How do I get the wrinkles out ???

I've been rubbing it with the palm of my hand ( the strop :001_tongu )to see if that fixes it but it hasn't.

Suggestions ???

get a glass bottle and lay it on a table then go at it :thumbup1: you may need a bit of neatsfoot oil or perhaps even dampen it a tad to get it to reshape a little. With some use it and hand stropping it should get to normal :thumbup1:

Sorry to revive this old thread but I thought this is better than posting a new one asking the same.

Here is a photo of my strop.

The guys at SRP told me to return it and I already wrote an e-mail to the vendor asking what can be done about it... but returning is a bit troublesome for me since I live in another country.

Can't find neatsfoot oil in my country (Dammit, when talking about classic shaving, I feel like I live in Bedrock along with the Flinstones) any "common" replacement for it?

Do you think the bottle and damp rag could fix it?

Thanx for all your help :}

Sorry to revive this old thread but I thought this is better than posting a new one asking the same.

Here is a photo of my strop.

The guys at SRP told me to return it and I already wrote an e-mail to the vendor asking what can be done about it... but returning is a bit troublesome for me since I live in another country.

Can't find neatsfoot oil in my country (Dammit, when talking about classic shaving, I feel like I live in Bedrock along with the Flinstones) any "common" replacement for it?

Do you think the bottle and damp rag could fix it?

Thanx for all your help :}

You can substitute mink oil for neatsfoot oil.
Or you can use tallow shave soap lather.

so I tried a combination of methods.
First, applied lather (as suggested) and left it for a couple of mins. then I removed the lather with my hand and used a damp rag to remove the rest of it.
It appears the strop gained some moisture and was able to be more flexible, but the bumpy section was still there.

Then, I tried the bottle method.
It worked at some extent. The surface was a little more flat and made the bump area slightly smoother... but the bump is still there.
I also rubbed it with my hands, but this didn't really improved anything.

I think I could play a little more with the bottle technique, and glue the whole strop to a flat and hard surface after the bump disappears. This might work but I am not sure if it will be usable at any point to strop my razor.

I feel sad :glare:

Unfortunately the bump may not come out and that's a drag.

You could try lathering it again on both sides. Then roll it with the bottle on a hard, level, clean surface while the strop is still damp.
Let it dry, then work the dried lather into the strop with your hands.
Good luck.

Edit: You can make a paddle strop out of the good leather pieces (if they're long enough) by gluing them to a hard wood block cut to size.

Last edited:
If your other attempts have failed, you might try soaking the whole strop until it is saturated with water. There will be no more bubbles coming out of the leather. Let all the excess water run off. Then, lay the strop on a flat surface, like the kitchen counter, cover it with a towel and put some heavy books on it. Wait until it totally dry. Then apply something to recondition the leather.

I used this method to straighten a vintage shell strop that was very bent and it worked fine. The wrinkles you have may or may not come out, but if you have noting to lose it may be worth a try. If the wrinkles do not come out, your can then sand the strop before conditioning the leather. It should become usable.

The theory behind this method is that leather is very flexible when wet and as it dries it will retain the shape it is forced into. Wetting leather is used to form it for making many items. However, wetting leather makes it a bit stiffer when it dries, which necessitates the reconditioning.

Good luck!

Last edited:
wow awesome!!!!
thanx for the advises! I wanna try them right now! haha... but I'm at work and later I'll go with my GF to see her doctor so I'll have to wait till tonight.

Thanx again guys :D I'll let you know how it works n____n

Top Bottom