What's new

Tom Ford: Grey Vetiver

I recently acquired a bottle and think Luca Turin's review sums what I think of it up nicely:

Grey Vetiver (Tom Ford) *** soapy vetiver (3 stars out of 5)
A worthy addition to a field crowded with good vetivers (Guerlain, Malle, Givenchy). An unusually complex, polished, melancholy composition,
soapy and well-scrubbed against a refined woody-musky background. Close in spirit to Patricia de Nicolaï’s wonderful candle, Vetiver de Java. LT

I have a sample; it is the first vetiver I have tried. I really like it and it is one of only a few fragrances I've tried that I can wear. However, I find it a little too sweet in the drydown and it is definitely very vetiver. Now that I've tried it and know what vetiver smells like (I've also tried MB sweet vetiver soap), I notice the vetiver scent all the time in public places on other people. It is a very noticable and 'cologne'-y smell for me. I guess what I am trying to say is that although the scent is pleasing, the sillage may be a bit much for my taste. If you don't mind people really noticing your cologne, you may have better results. Trying this makes me want to try other vetiver, perhaps where the vetiver is toned down a bit.

Top Bottom