What's new

What's it like to shave with a 100 year old razor?

IT'S TERRIFIC!!!!!!!

First a thank you to all the owners of my 1906 Double ring Gillette old. Who ever used and owned this razor for the past 100+ years took really good care of it.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

So what is it like to use such an old timer? On Sat I loaded up the DR with a new Iridium blade. From the very first time I took this razor apart I could tell that it was made by a craftsman who had pride in his work. This razor is well made, proven by how long it has been in use, and substantial in its .materials. It feels solid in other words. The blade handles like it should with no hesitation, just a smooth and efficient ride. My results were a DFS, = to the best that I have received.

There have been and will be post in these forums from new shavers and owners of DE razors who ask just what they should do to keep their equipmet in good shape between shaves. I have read those who advocate rinsing in hot water and shaking dry. In my opinion one should treat a 100+ year old shaver with the respect and care it deserves. I advocate having at least 2 DE razors in use at all times. After I finish shaving I disassemble the razor, dry the blade, carefully, dry and polish the DE with a soft towel and reasemble making it ready for it's next shave. I place the blade now dried in the next shaver that I will use. This kind of care and respect has made it possible for me to now be using a beautiful old timer that I hope will be around for another 100 years.

One other thing that I noticed when using vintage razors. My mind wanders back to the day of production. I try to see what was going on in that day and experience as much as possible, perhaps by holding a piece of history some of the vibes or history are transferred thru the metal to me from other users. Hey this could make a good movie.:thumbup:

Well, my final word on the subject is, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and shave with a classic razor just so you can experience the feelings that I get when holding this old friend.

Oh, and for you new schoolers not into the relics, on Sunday I shaved with a 1921 New Improved Gillette. I know I'm getting kinda hip by doing so but what the hell, can't live in the past all the time.:001_rolle

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mark

Last edited:
Top Bottom