What's new

Your favorite US-based shave cream?

I notice that a lot of the talk focuses on creams from across the pond. What are some of your favorite creams from US-based companies? Criteria can be anything (cost, quality, availability, etc.), but try and point out exactly why you like what you like.
I've only tried Nancy Boy and Tom's of Maine so far. I like the scent/quality of Nancy Boy, but the price and hassle of obtaining it is sort of a pain. I like the fact that I can walk down the block and pick up the Tom's.

I like the fact that I can walk down the block and pick up the Tom's.

Not for long, Tom's was discontinued about a year ago, and anything you see for sale is NOS.

I don't think there are all that many choices available that are actually produced in the US (there's a small handful of artisan made creams).

Kiss My Face is the only one that comes to mind. :thumbup1:

I have to give major props to Cremo Cream. I refer many newbies to this one and it never dissapoints. It is easy to lather and gives a confortable glide, even for the ladies.

If you extended this to our northern brothers I would say (undoubtedly) JM Fraser.

[Disclaimer: These two are not at all influenced by the fact that we stock both of them. I would say the same if we did not.]

For something widely available in brick and mortar stores, you might try Headslick. Although some reviewers say it is unscented, I find it does have one, but it doesn't linger. I had a close comfortable shave using it this morning. Using it, occasionally, adds a little variety to my morning shave.

-Clarke

Last edited:
I have to give major props to Cremo Cream. I refer many newbies to this one and it never dissapoints. It is easy to lather and gives a confortable glide, even for the ladies.

If you extended this to our northern brothers I would say (undoubtedly) JM Fraser.

[Disclaimer: These two are not at all influenced by the fact that we stock both of them. I would say the same if we did not.]

John, just out of curiosity, which of your soaps and creams contain tallow and/or lanolin?

GR would be my favorite as well, but the price and the fact that I need to use almost double the quantity of cream to get the same shave I get out of Taylor's means I won't be buying it again.

Tallow:
Valobra, Valobra Stick, Valobra Menthol
Cella
Harris Soaps
Speick Stick

Lanolin:
Musgo

Hi John, do the Valobra Almond/Menthol cream/soap really contain tallow? I know your site indicates that they do, but other sites indicate otherwise (example here). I have never used or owned this product, so I cannot reference the actual packaging. I do own the Valobra hard shaving stick, which does indeed contain tallow.

Last edited:
Hi John, do the Valobra Almond/Menthol cream/soap really contain tallow? I know your site indicates that they do, but other sites indicate otherwise (example here). I have never used or owned this product, so I cannot reference the actual packaging. I do own the Valobra hard shaving stick, which does indeed contain tallow.

Ok, I guess you have called my bluff. None of the packages I have ever stocked have had any ingredients listed on them, so I am not sure. I was under the impression that they all do. I do know that most of the other bath soaps that Valobra makes have tallow, but I do not know about the Crema di Sapone.

I will go to the source and verify. Thanks for asking the question.

Not sure where they got the ingredients from, but this site:

http://rasierspass.de/

has the ingredients listed as:

Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Potassium Palminate, Potassium Stearate, Glycerin, Palmatic Acid, Sodium Cocoate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Cocos Nucifera, Parfum

See here:

http://rasierspass.de/html/rasiermittel/rs/rs_valobra.html

Ok, I guess you have called my bluff. None of the packages I have ever stocked have had any ingredients listed on them, so I am not sure. I was under the impression that they all do. I do know that most of the other bath soaps that Valobra makes have tallow, but I do not know about the Crema di Sapone.

I will go to the source and verify. Thanks for asking the question.

Top Bottom