What's new

Head Shavers question

Hey Fellow Headshavers,

I have a question for you: I seem to manage to get a BBS shave on the nugget nearly every time I shave with a DE. When I use the same razor and blade, same cream or soap, and same pre-shave routine for my face, I rarely get as good a shave. Mind you, it isn't bad on my face but I still get weepers on the throat occasionally and some irritation.

Is it just that the skin on the scalp is more forgiving or what? I wonder if any of you have had this experience?

C

cletuspain

That is my experience exactly. I've been shaving my head with a DE for about 2 years now and I typically get a smooth clean shave every time (with the occasional exception of a little razor burn and stubble on the back of my neck). However, I have a hard time getting a consitently good result on my face and neck. I think the skin on the head is mostly tight and smooth making it easy for the blade to pass over while the face and neck has much looser skin, but I could be wrong on that.

I think the skin on the top is the most forgiving on the scalp. The skin on the sides is next in line and the skin in the bottom of the back is the least forgiving. I have problems with my neck too, on the back and the front. In the front it is just a couple inches from my chest hair. My neck hair is beastly... :scared:

Yup, me too! My theory is that the skin on my head is much tougher so is less susceptible to irritation. In fact I can go straight to ATG on my head on the first pass itself.

Scalp is tougher IMO...I would start with the beard if you are going to use the same razor for both. I use a str8 on my beard then DE or SE on the dome.

I don't necessarily think its a skin factor so much as the surface beneath it. I think the thin skin coupled with the hard skull makes it much easier to shave as opposed to a neck, cheeks etc. that move all over while shaving.

I don't necessarily think its a skin factor so much as the surface beneath it. I think the thin skin coupled with the hard skull makes it much easier to shave as opposed to a neck, cheeks etc. that move all over while shaving.

I think this is right. Also my thinning hair is not as tough as my whiskers, so the blades shaves close with less effort.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself....but my noggin is pretty much just round! :tongue_sm No really uneven or tricky areas...like chin, jawline, etc... IMO this just makes it easier to get great results...

Skin and hair on head is different.

That's why I'm happy slapping brightly coloured gel on and scraping it off again with a Mach3.

Yup, me too! My theory is that the skin on my head is much tougher so is less susceptible to irritation. In fact I can go straight to ATG on my head on the first pass itself.

Same here. My only issue has been the occasional nick going from the top of my head to the back. If I'm not careful with the razor angle I take a bite out of my scalp now and then.

Scalp is tougher IMO...I would start with the beard if you are going to use the same razor for both. I use a str8 on my beard then DE or SE on the dome.

I've recently started using a straight for my face, although not everyday yet. I've seen a couple posts from guys who use the straight on their noggin. I'm not that brave yet.:w00t:

I think this is right. Also my thinning hair is not as tough as my whiskers, so the blades shaves close with less effort.

:lol: I feel your pain. Won't be to many more years before I'll have to be BBC all the time.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself....but my noggin is pretty much just round! :tongue_sm No really uneven or tricky areas...like chin, jawline, etc... IMO this just makes it easier to get great results...

Exactly!

Top Bottom